Share This Page...

Veganize It: The Year In Review

What a year it has been here at Veganize It...Don't Criticize it! No recipe this week. You have one minute to weep. Okay, that's enough, pansy. Instead of ending the year with a recipe, I decided to do a year in review! It has been quite a ride in my kitchen. First, I had to move kitchens from west side to half-way east side. I assure you, moving my kitchen is perhaps one of the most daunting challenges I could possibly face. My kitchen required more boxes than my bedroom and living room combined. Then, I moved into an apartment with not only the shittiest oven I've ever had the displeasure of using, but with about half the cabinet space I had grown accustomed to having. My roommate has grown quite fond of showing guests the overly-stocked-with-ingredients shelves in the cabinets.

She always makes sure to point out that there is only one shelf allocated to actual "ready to eat" snack foods. In all fairness, I warned her before formalizing our roommate agreement that the kitchen would be my territory. Sure, she can use it...but not without me peering slyly around the corner making sure she doesn't damage my stunning new oven. Anyway, on to the review. Let's start at the very beginning. 

Some of the recipes I chose were my favorites from the past year, and others were your favorites.

January's Heirloom Bean, Red Russian Kale and Wheat Berry Chili [above] post started off my year with a bang when it accidentally sparked international controversy. Turns out my sense of humor doesn't cross cultures, and I received more Paraguayan and Brazilian hate mail from Avril Lavigne fans than I can even count.

  Not much to say about this one except that I entered it in a recipe contest and didn't even get an honorable mention. They can kiss my bundt cake.

  In this post I touched on my love for all kinds of mushrooms...even the one's that make you believe trees are talking to you, or that eating on the floor of Domino's Pizza is a great idea.

  The most decadent vegan mac and cheese you will ever eat. Yes, the ingredients are a bit of a treasure hunt...but why should vegetarians get to have all the fun?

  If you couldn't tell from my 9 million blog posts including Morel Mushrooms, they are one of my favorite earthly gifts. This recipe tops my top 10 list of "Ways To Enjoy Morels". Yes, they're pricey. Yes, I pawned my grandmas old necklace to buy a pound. And yes, it was worth every ounce of Jew Guilt I experienced.

  The post with my first cooking video. I know I've been slacking on making more of them, but I promise a second season in 2010. You know how it is in show biz. I'm waiting for results from my focus groups...or until I can afford a new video camera.

  A spicy surprise for my mother's birthday. Unlucky for her, chipotle and chocolate have similar coloration muahaha.

  It's getting cold out. Keep warma with Shawarma hahahaha. Oh, really...I'm just too much.
And that concludes our Veganize It! Year In Review. I hope you have the munchies as badly as I do right now from all these photos. Well, it could've been the joint that magically disappeared as I was writing this post. Just kidding. I don't BUI (Blog Under The Influence). See you next year, kids.

Comments

MUST EAT NOW! Why oh why did I read this before I've even had breakfast? Now instead of my typical green smoothie I need to make mac and cheese, and a gigantic burger.....what have you done!?!

Seriously, though, you are AMAZING, what fantastic food. When are you going to open a restaurant? And when will that restaurant have a branch in Saudi Arabia so I can be your best customer???
Christina Blue said…
Damn this post has me fantasizing over a large blunt and buffet of all the things pictured as I'm at work. Damn.
Nicole said…
I'm super impressed!!! This is incredible. The tofu scallops look so damn good.
Ricki said…
Everything looks just as delicious the second time round. I can't believe those scallops didn't win!
Ah, it's so nice to see those biscuits and gravy again. Hot damn!
Jenn Shagrin said…
Christina Blue:
Thank you! That's exactly the kind of response I like to hear :)

I tried to leave a comment for you on your blog, but for some reason it wouldn't let me.
Anonymous said…
Your food is so impressive; it always makes me wish I was more fancy! Lovely post and I hope I get some time to make some of these :)
Unknown said…
What a pretty dish you presents every time. beautiful and very tempting!

r4 dsi
Cortney said…
Fabulous year! And here's more Jewish guilt for you, courtesy of a ferret..

http://www.fupenguin.com/2009/11/dissatisfied-ferrets-resort-to-jewish.html
Jenn Shagrin said…
Neil:

Thank you for all your lovely comments! I hope you see this...I couldn't find a blog of your where I could leave a comment back.
Damn, that's one fabulous year! I'd love to eat any of these.
AHHH You are awesome!! I LOVE with my heart and soul truffles. In fact my last Thanksgiving was called TOTALLY TRUFFLED THANKSGIVING. Truffles are great because if you are a lover of the great red wines, truffles can pair with a ot of the big red. I had fresh white and black truffle. I want to try this Mac and Cheese, the next time truffles are in season(next fall)

BTW, thought of you:
Cruelty is one fashion statement we can all do without. ~Rue McClanahan
(Blanche!!)
khoirul said…
delicious food.
you are great, can cook food like that.
I wish I could eat that food.
babbler said…
Does the fact that I make an exceptional penutten butta and jelly snaguicha qualify me for a place in veganland? I love your blog and all of the pictures that make me drool. Hope you have a great new year, Love, "Mrs. Slug" from Slug's Rest in Oregon
Unknown said…
love the year in review post! what a good idea..especially for you with all of your amaaazing recipes! :)
hope you enjoyed your joint ;) haha and enjoy your new years!!<3
janelle said…
What a great year for you... you should make a recipe book, I would love to make stuff from it. You're a very talented chef!
Shags said…
Jenn,

Not a word about your book (which is coming out in August)?

I remember the Chili well, and have a craving for it again! And if you want more stuff to sell for more morels, let me know. (There's a typo on your posting there - "but" vs. "buy", and missed an apostrophe in "grandma's")

The cookies were delightful, but the best I was blessed enough to sample was the Roasted Garlic Green Curry with Mixed Wild Mushrooms, Thai Eggplants and Vegan Pancetta!

See you soon...

Love,

DaddyShags
birdgherl said…
I read TONS of blogs and your is far and away the best. You and those tofu scallops rule. Happy New Year!
Jenn Shagrin said…
Thanks, Birdgherl!

Put up a post on your blog so I can comment away :)
Simply Life said…
wow! so many great ideas!!!