Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Vegan Quattro Formaggio White Truffle Macaroni and Cheese

Even as a wee one, I had serious issues with hearing the word "No." At the age of two, my mother had me in the toddler prison seat of a shopping cart, and was making her way to the checkout aisle. As she pushed past the tantrum-inducing impulse snack foods to place her items on the conveyor belt, I snatched a bag of Doritos off the rack. "No!", she stated firmly. "You've had enough junk today." According to my mother, I retorted with my signature devious, defiant, eyebrow raising glare, and tore the bag open with one triumphant rip. I was pretty conniving for a two year old...truly believing that once the bag was open, she'd have to purchase the chips. And they would be my sweet yet salty victory.

Wrong.

She pulled that bag out of my hands faster than I could blink, handed them to the check-out lady and said "I'll pay for these, but throw them away."

Clearly my mother did something right. The only other time I attempted a feat of petty larceny at a grocery store, I stole a chocolate bar from the same aforementioned impulse section, then broke down in tears in the parking lot due to overwhelming feelings of guilt. She then forced me to go back inside of Sparkle Market, apologize to the manager and return the candy. I don't believe I've stolen anything since.

Still, even into adulthood, "No" is not something I enjoy having to hear. I now have much better self-control, and usually just take matters into my own hands. As a vegan, we all know how many times the ingredient list for dishes at a restaurants is often just one giant "No." Butter? No...sorry. You cannot have the delicious garlic rolls. The Butternut Squash Bisque? No...sorry. We add Creme Fraiche. And Mac and Cheese? Forget about it. All the high end gastronomic establishments would never consider adapting their Blue Cheese Burrata version for a Vegan. That would just be criminal!

Well, here you are, ladies and gents. A fancy Mac and Cheese so you can just tell yourself "Yes". Play by your own damn rules.

Vegan Quattro Formaggio White Truffle Macaroni and Cheese

*You can use any combination of your four favorite vegan cheeses. This is just what I happened to use.

22 comments:

Glauce said...

Pasta and vegan cheese is one of the best combinations ever ;o)

Tami (Vegan Appetite) said...

Ohmygod. I want that.

brittany said...

it's... it's just so... beautiful!

Jes said...

Ahhhhhh that looks so good! If only I could justify the ingredients list. :)

miss v said...

yo fancy-pants. come make this for me.

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Off. The. HOOK. ..but I expect nothing less from you!

Mihl said...

Please move to Dresden, Germany and open a restaurant!

kim g. said...

Oh. My. God. This looks amazing! You are seriously tempting me to go get these cheeses and make this!

I wanted to let you know that I LOVE your baked goods! My husband came by to get some at your bake sale today and they are so yummy - but very dangerous, because I could eat way too many of those twinkies and pinwheels...

Gina said...

I really want to try Cheezley. Although Teese was all the rage, and I don't really like that. This looks so good though, you are a master veganizer :)

anudivya said...

This looks lovely!
And I guess your mom did the right thing by throwing away the bag of junk from you.
I loved reading your little experience and could kinda relate to it in a way.

quarrygirl said...

this is one of the tastiest looking meals i've ever seen in my life. i really hope you open a restaurant someday...and make this for me. jennrox!

your loving sister said...

seriously, why do you never invite me for food when you make food i'd actually eat?

JennShaggy said...

Dear Loving Sister...
I made it on a whim in the middle of the afternoon last week, then proceeded to food-coma pass out nap on my couch for two hours.
But! I can make it for you next week if you've got some time during the day to drive up?

vincent said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com

quarrygirl said...

BTW i have more cheezly. haha, wanna come over?

Lauren said...

wow thank you sooo much for this post!
i've been wanting a good vegan mac & cheese for so long now, and that looks truly amazing!!
i'll definitely need to find some time and cook it up! :)

Recipe man said...

looks a great meal.
nice!

veggie wedgie said...

4 different vegan cheeses in one dish? I must be in heaven.

laura! said...

YES PLEASE!!!! I am dying over here. Will you marry me??

Andrea said...

Is this some cruel joke?? Where is the recipe, pleeeeze? Just found your blog, the pictures and your writing are awesome!

carenicole said...

I second Andrea. I've thought about nothing else in the past few days, and my own failed kitchen attempts are setting me desperate!

city said...

thanks for sharing.