Share This Page...

Vegan Quattro Formaggio White Truffle Macaroni and Cheese

As soon as I could talk, I would not take "No"for an answer. During my Terrible 2s, my mom had me in the toddler-prison seat of a shopping cart. She was making her way to the checkout aisle. As she pushed past the tantrum-inducing impulse snacks to place her items on the conveyor belt, I snatched a bag of Doritos off the rack. "No!", she stated firmly. "You've had enough junk today." As my mom recounts: I retorted with my signature deviously defiant, eyebrow-raising stare, and tore the bag open with one triumphant rip. I was pretty conniving for a two year old...truly believing that once the bag was open, she'd have to purchase the chips and they would be my sweet, salty victory. 

Wrong. 

She pulled that bag out of my hands faster than I could blink, handed them to the check-out lady and said "I'll pay for these, but throw them away." Clearly my mom did something right. The only other time I attempted very petty larceny at a grocery store, I stole a chocolate bar from the same aforementioned impulse section. Overwhelmed with guilt and shame, I proceeded to burst into tears seconds later in the parking lot. She then forced me to go back inside of Sparkle Market, apologize to the manager and return the candy. I haven't stolen anything since that day. 

As I grew into adulthood, "No" is still not something I enjoy hearing. I've just grown more silently conniving, have better self-control, then take matters into my own hands. As a vegan, we all know how often many restaurant menu ingredients are just one giant "No." 

Butter? Nope. Sorry. You cannot have the delicious garlic rolls. The Butternut Squash Bisque? Fuck off. We add Creme Fraiche. Mac and Cheese? Forget about it. Most high-end gastronomic establishments just won't adapt their Truffled Mascarpone Mac for a vegan. That would just be criminal! 

Well, go ahead and feel like Fiona Apple. A fancy Mac & Cheese that allows you to tell yourself "Yes". Play by your own damn rules.

 
Vegan Quattro Formaggio White Truffle Macaroni and Cheese
*You can use any combination of your four favorite vegan cheeses. This is just what I happened to use.

[This recipe had to be taken down for my cookbook. Buy/Download it on Amazon, or try to woo me with an impressive email.]

Comments

Pasta and vegan cheese is one of the best combinations ever ;o)
Tami said…
Ohmygod. I want that.
brittany said…
it's... it's just so... beautiful!
Jes said…
Ahhhhhh that looks so good! If only I could justify the ingredients list. :)
miss v said…
yo fancy-pants. come make this for me.
Off. The. HOOK. ..but I expect nothing less from you!
kim g. said…
Oh. My. God. This looks amazing! You are seriously tempting me to go get these cheeses and make this!

I wanted to let you know that I LOVE your baked goods! My husband came by to get some at your bake sale today and they are so yummy - but very dangerous, because I could eat way too many of those twinkies and pinwheels...
Gina said…
I really want to try Cheezley. Although Teese was all the rage, and I don't really like that. This looks so good though, you are a master veganizer :)
anudivya said…
This looks lovely!
And I guess your mom did the right thing by throwing away the bag of junk from you.
I loved reading your little experience and could kinda relate to it in a way.
quarrygirl said…
this is one of the tastiest looking meals i've ever seen in my life. i really hope you open a restaurant someday...and make this for me. jennrox!
your loving sister said…
seriously, why do you never invite me for food when you make food i'd actually eat?
Jenn Shagrin said…
Dear Loving Sister...
I made it on a whim in the middle of the afternoon last week, then proceeded to food-coma pass out nap on my couch for two hours.
But! I can make it for you next week if you've got some time during the day to drive up?
quarrygirl said…
BTW i have more cheezly. haha, wanna come over?
Unknown said…
wow thank you sooo much for this post!
i've been wanting a good vegan mac & cheese for so long now, and that looks truly amazing!!
i'll definitely need to find some time and cook it up! :)
Recipe man said…
looks a great meal.
nice!
veggie wedgie said…
4 different vegan cheeses in one dish? I must be in heaven.
laura! said…
YES PLEASE!!!! I am dying over here. Will you marry me??
Andrea said…
Is this some cruel joke?? Where is the recipe, pleeeeze? Just found your blog, the pictures and your writing are awesome!
carenicole said…
I second Andrea. I've thought about nothing else in the past few days, and my own failed kitchen attempts are setting me desperate!