Friday, May 22, 2009

Vegan Roasted Garlic Caesar Salad with Home-Made "Buttery" Croutons

I made quite possibly one of the best or most toxic decisions of my life yesterday: I bought a vacuum cleaner. For those that know me well, I have this very out of character cleaning neurosis. I say "out of character" because, on the surface, I:

A) Wear the same pair of jeans almost every day
B) Wear the same 4 t-shirts over and over again
C) Wear the same pair of shoes every day
D) Do not use any hair product
E) Do not wear any kind of make-up...even Chap Stick
F) There is always bird shit on my car (this one drives me up walls. It's because of my parking spot. I've surrendered.)
G) I basically look like a 14 year old stoner, and stoners are notoriously dirty.
H) Am a lesbian

Points A-H would logically lead others to believe that I am one gigantic slob. Pizza boxes, Chinese take-out containers and boxers should rightfully liter the landscape of my 2 bedroom.

I assure you, it's spotless.

To me, the weirdest part of my tidiness is that it seemingly sprung out of no-where. When I lived at home as a teenager, I was a stoner slob. My mother's cleaning lady even complained to her that if she found one more ounce of rotting food in my bedroom, she quite simply wouldn't clean it. My poor mother, fearing what my room just might look like if it were never cleaned by human hands, gave me a firm talking to that evening. It didn't help.

Then, I moved out on my own. Almost instantaneously, I became a fanatic about the cleanliness of my living space. I notice small "dirty" spots that no normal human being would notice. I'm doing my best to ignore them. I can let something go for a day or two, but it still haunts me. An analyst would probably tell me I have "control issues" with myself, so I take it out on filth. But really...I think I just like shit clean. I'm pretty great at letting go and trusting the universe and all that hooey.

Yes, my new vacuum is gorgeous. It's lime green. It sparkles. It's Eco-friendly, and allows me to suck-up pet hair on my couch faster than I can find a hooker in Vegas. My hope is that it will not help me clean more, but that it will help me spend less time doing so.

Oh yes, the recipe. I love a good Caesar salad, but unfortunately cannot order it at most restaurants because it contains *yuck* eggs and sea-creatures. I promised a few months ago that I would post some more "simple" recipes, and I have faltered slightly.

Well, at least there's one thing I can add to my "Not Neurotic About" list: Embracing faults.

12 comments:

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Dang! yum. We have a fancy Dyson vacuum that I refused to buy at the time, but now love.

Jes said...

Vegan ceaser salads are definitely one of my main lazy loves. I like your dressing recipe!

mel said...

I like the idea of chickpeas as a base! And chickpea pee is hilarious.

Gina said...

I wasn't aware that lesbians were notoriously messy.

I haven't had Caesar Salad in ages, looks yum :)

Recipe man said...

thanks this look great.
chickpeas are so healthy and are a great start for many a good dish
and i love (!) roasted garlic :-)

tiny myths said...

you completely rule

Vegyogini said...

What a lovely vacuum it is, too. :)

I don't know how you survive without lip balm. That's a necessity for me!

Chickpea "pee" and "topless" garlic! How scandalous!

Ricki said...

Nums!!! I love Caesars and this version sounds delish. Chickpeas are such a great idea!

miss v said...

that dressing looks fan-tab!

The Voracious Vegan said...

I wish I had a tiny bit of your cleaning ability/neurosis....my house is always a disaster. Ah well. With 4 dogs, what are you going to do?

I LOVE this recipe, thank you so much for sharing! I have been craving a big salad lately!

disa said...

AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,性愛,a片,AV女優,聊天室,情色

Candace said...

Did the recipe get deleted?