Share This Page...

Vegan Curried Pork, Enoki Mushroom & Purple Basil Potstickers with Sake & Porcini Reduction

I never get sick. Maybe it's my super Vegan immune system, or the 2+ bottles of Kombucha I drink daily. Are we even supposed to drink that much Kombucha? Illness does not cramp my style. Last week, I had to change my "never" to "sometimes." I'm convinced that moving a few miles away from the beach landed me in a cesspool where nano-influenza goblins float in the air. I fell terribly ill with the flu the day after Thanksgiving. 

For three days, I was bed-ridden, booger-crusted and crabby AF. I blame it on three things, because I refuse to blame myself for lack of personal upkeep: 
A) The extensive amount of Thanksgiving cooking I did for 10 people (Realistically, my fault because I can't KISS) 
B) It actually feels like (Southern) East-Coast winter in Los Angeles. It's FUCKING COLD. 
C) The "nano-influenza goblins" floating in the air mentioned in paragraph 1.

At least I can bust out my plaid scarves that have been boxed up since 2004. In an attempt to remedy my ailing body, I ate tons of soup. I couldn't get up and cook to save pathetic soul, whined like a little bitch to my mom on the phone, and am now feeling much better. I did make one terrible mistake in hopes of keeping my mind preoccupied, though. I purchased The Sims 3. The Sims are another one of my rampant addictions. Professionals say admitting guilt is the first step to recovery. Recovery is not my end-game here. 

I've never divulged my addiction to the EA Games phenomenon, but I was heavily hooked on The Sims in high school. It all started because my best friend's dad is somewhat of a computer hacking pro. He left all of us Limewire-Took-4-Days to download a mix CD teens in the dust.  In his office, he had two separate computer desk. He set up each computer with the latest version of the game. It started as innocent fun, and quickly turned to us both needing for a 12-step group to help us assimilate back to interacting with actual humans. Our virtual relationships with our Sims had a stronghold over us both. Instead of interacting with actual human beings on a Friday night, Amy and I would get stoned silly and play The Sims for hours on end. We'd exchange maybe 10 words, and demolish gigantic bags of Sour Patch Kids. Eventually, there was an intervention, and stepping away from the screen was "necessitated." 

I thought I'd stepped away from the world of RPG games, scoffing at the World of Warcraft addicts. Well, I've fallen off the wagon. Not only will I Sim with a vengeance, but I've also taken quite a liking to FarmVille and Restaurant City on Facebook. Let's just hope I find a job sooner than later. If any gaming companies are looking for beta-testers, let a bitch know.

 
Vegan Curried Pork, Enoki Mushroom & Purple Basil Potstickers with a 
Porcini, Shiro, Sake, Brown Rice Vinegar Reduction
For the Potstickers...
  • 1 batch Vegan Pork, cut into 2-3 inch pieces (sub vegan chicken, ground up or vegan ground beef)
  • 3.5 oz Enoki Mushrooms, cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 1 tightly packedcup of Purple Basil Leaves, finely chopped
  • 2 cups of Green Cabbage, shredded
  • 1/2 TBSP Salt
  • 1/4 cup Scallions, thinly sliced
  • 1 Leek, top removed, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
  • 2 TBSP Vegetable Oil
  • 1 TBSP Tamari
  • 1 TBSP Curry Powder
  • 1 TBSP Mirin
  • 2 cloves Garlic, finely grated
  • 1 tsp fresh Ginger, finely grated
  • 1 tsp Dark Sesame Oil
  • 2 TBSP Chives, minced
  • Touch of Salt and Pepper, to taste (optional)
  • 1 package of Vegan Potsticker Wrappers
  • Vegetable Oil, enough for fry potstickers
  • 1/2 cup Hot No Chicken Broth (alternatively Vegetable Broth or Water), divided in half.
Purple (aka Opal) Basil
Chef's Note: You are going to need to grind the pork seitan shortly after it's finished cooking, so don't make it a day in advance if possible. Alternatively, you can buy packaged vegan chicken or beef instead of making seitan. Grind up as directed for the vegan pork. Once the vegan pork is done cooking, remove it from the pot with a slotted spoon instead of draining off all the broth. Immediately place the pieces of pork seitan into a food processor, then pour 1 TBSP of the broth inside the food processor. Grind to the texture of ground beef, then place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap until ready to use. 

Take your chopped cabbage, and place it in a large bowl. Sprinkle a 1/2 TBSP of salt over top, then let it stand for 1/2 hour while you prep the rest of your ingredients. After the cabbage has sat for 1/2 hour, use a cheesecloth, dishtowel or paper towels to drain as much liquid from the cabbage as possible. Set the drained cabbage aside to dry further. 

Once the vegan pork is ground and all the ingredients are prepped, heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the vegan ground pork, enoki mushrooms, leek and scallions to the skillet, and sauté for 3-4 minutes until the leeks are soft and translucent. Turn the heat down to medium low, then add cabbage and stir to combine. Add curry powder, tamari, garlic and ginger and ginger to the pan, stir will, then sauté another 2-3 minutes. 

Remove from heat, transfer the mixture to a large bowl, and allow it to cool to room temperature. Once cooled, add the purple basil, chives and sesame oil, then use your hands to combine completely. 

Taste for salt and pepper. 

To assemble the potstickers, prepare a small bowl of water for moistening the wrappers. Take each wrapper, and lay it out on a flat surface. Place a small spoonful of the filling in the center of the wrapper....
  
Dip your finger in the bowl of water, then run your finger around the outside edge of HALF of the wrapper. Make sure that the wet and dry side don't meet yet, carefully fold the wrapper in half like a taco.

Start at one end, and carefully pinch the sides together. Work your way around to the other end, making sure the potsticker is completely airtight so that the filling remains inside. Repeat with each potsticker, then set aside with the "fold" side up so that the bottom becomes flat. 

Let sit until you're ready to cook them. You can cook the potstickers one of several ways. I used the steam/pan fry method, but you can also feel free to use other methods: 

1. Steam/Pan Fry: Using a large skillet with a lid, pour in enough vegetable oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Heat the oil over high heat until it's shining, then place enough potstickers in the pan so that it is filled, but not over crowded. Add 1/4 cup of the No Chicken Broth (or veggie stock or water) to the pan, reduce the heat to medium, then cover with a lid. Allow them to cook for 4 minutes, then remove the lid and add an additional 1/4 cup of broth. Let the potstickers cook until the water fully evaporates. Once the water is evaporate, cool an additional minute, then remove from the pan and serve. Repeat the process until all of the potstickers are cooked. 

2. Deep Fry: Heat several inches of oil in a large stock pot or deep fryer until it registers 350 degrees F. Carefully drop the potstickers in the heated oil, then fry until golden brown (about 5-7 minutes). Carefully remove them with a mesh strainer or slotted spoon, then place on a towel to drain and cool. Serve. 

3. Steam Cooking: Using a rice cooker with a steamer basket, place about 2-3 cups of water (depending on the width of the pot) in the bottom of the rice cooker. Place the steamer basket over top of the water, then place enough potstickers in the basket so that it is full but the potstickers do not overlap. Turn the rice cooker to the "cook" setting, and let the potstickers steam for about 10-12 minutes until cooked through. Be careful that the water doesn't fully evaporate. Once the potstickers are done steaming, carefully remove the steamer basket then pour the remaining liquid in the cooking pot over top of them to help unstick

Serve immediately. 

 For the Porcini, Shoyu and Sake Reduction
  • 1 handful of Dried Porcini Mushrooms
  • 1 cup Hot Water
  • 1/2 cup Shoyu
  • 1/2 cup Sake
  • 1/4 cup Brown Rice Vinegar
  • 1/2 cup Mirin
Place the dried porcinis in a deep bowl, then the hot water over top of them. Use a heavy object to ensure that the porcinis are submerged in the hot water. Let the porcinis soak in the hot water for 1/2 hour. 

Using a mesh strainer, place a bowl in your sink to catch the soaking liquid. Pour the porcinis over the strainer so that the soaking liquid pour into the bowl. You can save the porcinis for another recipe, or discard them. 

Place the porcini soaking liquid, shoyu, sake, brown rice vinegar and mirin in a large saucepan over high heat. Bring the mixture to a boil, and allow it to boil until the mixture reduces by 2/3rds

Serve as a dipping sauce or drizzle over potstickers.

 

Comments

Anonymous said…
this is what you made for yom kippur, right? SO GOOD. really. if anyone else besides jenn reads this comment, i'm the picky little sister you hear so much about. and this is delicious.
Those look amazing- as always! I've been dreaming of making potstickers forever, but I think I'm intimidated by them. I need to suck it up and give these a try! And um, that reduction looks ridiculously delicious.
Jes said…
Wow, those are some darn fancy dumplins! I'm such a lazy person with my fillings, you've inspired me to play around more. And I'm glad you're feeling better--send some warmer than East Coast vibes my way!
Anonymous said…
Rats! Now I'm drooling. If only I could find me some decent Vegan Potsticker Wrappers. :(
It is only with the utmost display of self control that I am not playing Sims 3 right now. I keep telling myself I have to get some work done so I can actually earn money......but here I am commenting on your blog!

But how can I resist!?!? Pot stickers are THE most delicious things in the world and yours looks fabulous. You are really crazy talented! I hope you know how awesome I think you are, I am always impressed with your yummy recipes.
Unknown said…
Looks so delicious and tasty. I definitely going to try this. Its mouthwatering recipe.

r4 dsi