Monday, December 21, 2009

Candied Masala Yams Coulis Casserole


If thinking about food counted as caloric intake, I would be one of those 800-pound people that eventually gets saved by Maury Povich. I'm sure it's pretty easy to gather from reading this little bloggy blog, but I think about food constantly. The only other subject that gives food a run for its money is sex. I guess I'm a fan of self-indulgent quick fixes, and I like it that way. When I'm not actually eating, I'm reading about food, writing about food, and downloading restaurant menus online purely just to examine their offerings.

The funny thing is that my fiance is the complete opposite. [Edit: I'm referring to the "food" issue...not the sex issue. That would be simply ludicrous]. She doesn't think about food unless I shove it in her face. She eats purely out of necessity, unless it's cherry pie. I've seen the woman plow through an entire cherry pie in one sitting...and she's 5'9" and 115 lbs. Can you say sexy bitch? Yes, please. Aside from cherry pie, though, she couldn't give a crap less about eating. When I start rambling about a dish I'm creating, I've started to notice that her eyes glaze over as her mind wanders off to a far away place I'll never know or understand. It's our differences that make us a good match...and it also provides me with a challenge.

I know that if I cook something and Jane likes it, it has to be good. I like to think I have good taste in people that have good taste. None-the-less, picky eaters have always piqued my curiosity...the first being the little sister I always talk about. Conspiracy that she and Jane both happen to be Pisces? I think not. Impressing a discerning (aka difficult) palate has always been somewhat of a game to me, so I let Thanksgiving be my playground.

"What do you want for Thanksgiving?", I asked Jane.

"Candied Yams.", she said.

"Aaand??"

"That's it. Just the yams."

"Alright", I said, fully knowing I would find a way to secretly make them spiffier than usual without her noticing. I'm like the conniving mother that sneaks vegetables into milkshakes.

Needless to say, they were a hit. I've made them with both Chicago Soy Dairy's Dandies and Sweet and Sara's Plain Marshmallows, and both versions were A++.

Oh, and Happy Birthday, Jesus.

Candied Masala Yams Coulis Casserole

  • 4 TBSP Vegan Margarine
  • 4-5 large Yams
  • 1/2 cup Vegan Brown Sugar
  • 3/4 cup MimicCreme (or Alternative, pg XX)
  • 1/4 cup Soy Creamer (Original Flavor)
  • 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
  • 1/8 tsp Cinnamon
  • 3 Whole Cloves, ground
  • Pinch of Freshly Grated Nutmeg
  • 1 bag of Dandies Vegan Marshmallows (or 1 tub Sweet and Sara Marshmallows or Ricemellow Creme)

Bring a large pot of water to a boil, then boil the yams until very soft to the touch...about 20-30 minutes. Drain the yams well, then set aside until cool enough to handle.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.

Peel off the yam skins completely, then place the peeled yams in a large bowl. Use a potato masher to mash the yams up a bit, then set aside.

In a very large pot over medium heat, melt the vegan margarine. Add the brown sugar, MimicCreme, soy creamer, garam masala, cinnamon, ground cloves and nutmeg. Whisk together well, then bring the mixture to a simmer while whisking occasionally. Allow the mixture to simmer until the brown sugar has melted completely.

Add the mashed yams to the pot, and stir to fully combine. Allow the mixture to come to a simmer, stirring occasionally, then remove the pot from heat.

Using either a food mill (an immersion blender or food processor will also suffice), pass the mixture though the food mill while straining over a large bowl. If you decide to use an immersion blender or food processor, just blend/process until fully pureed.

Transfer the yams to a casserole dish, then spread out evenly. Top with Dandies Marshmallows, then bake 20-30 minutes until the marshmallows are golden brown and the center is warm.

Let cool a moment prior to serving.

10 comments:

quarrygirl said...

i always thought it was funny that you are a chef and jane does not give a fuck about food. dude, if i was married to a chef i'd be fat as an oompa loompa!

this dish looks yum, BTW.

The Voracious Vegan said...

Wow, you definitely found a way to make yams spiffier than usual. Have I told you that I think you are a genius lately? Well I do and you are! Another brilliant post.

Ha, I think about food constantly too. What to make, when to make it, how I can possibly add chocolate to whatever it is I'm making....ahhh, the life of a food blogger.

Trinity (of haiku tofu) said...

I'm with Tasha; you're a genius! Masala Yams? Amazing.

And I totally feel you on the food-obsession. My love, like yours, is a tall drink of water who stays thin as an ubermodel.... however, my girl chows down like a champ! There's photographic proof on me blog. Merry Christmas lady!

Jes said...

Are you sure you'd actually get saved by Maury? I'd refuse to let him make me stop. But that's just me :)

Lovin' the yams, especially with the garam masala--perfect addition!

Shags said...

Jane is 5'9"??? Not without Elton John heels! She just seems that tall because you're a delightful 5' tall (maybe). I would say 5'6" at the most...not counting any spiked hair!

Love you both -- have a great holiday, and looking forward to seeing you soon.

DaddyShags

JennShaggy said...

Dad...Jane towers over you, and you're a whopping 5'5". But I love you too :)

Mike K said...

I just found your blog, and it looks like I've been seriously missing out. I love candied yams, and this casserole looks fantastic. yum!

it is kind as worm said...

WHY don't you own a vegan restaurant? OR at least the star chef???

JennShaggy said...

it is kind as worm:

I wish! Hopefully some day I'll get to run my own show in a kitchen besides my home. Thank you :)

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

DAMN, these look amazing.