Share This Page...

Vegan Candied Masala Yams Coulis Casserole

If thinking about food counted toward caloric intake, I would not fit into my hipster jeans. If you're an avid reader of this blog, you've probably correctly assumed I think about food constantly. I look forward to curling up with a stack of paper menus on rainy days. Sex is the only other interest that holds my daily thoughts captive. I guess I'm a fan of self-indulgent quick fixes, and I have no shame admitting it. 

When I'm not actually eating, I'm reading about food, writing about food, and downloading restaurant menus online purely just to examine their offerings. If you have as filthy of a mind as I do, let me answer the unasked question. Yes, there are plenty of kinks involving food. For example, licking whipped cream off a woman's body. Alright. Time to move away from this deviant topic for I publish something I regret. 

My new roommate forgets to eat, and this concept blows my mind. How does one forget to eat, let alone not see mirages of pasta and donuts when physically starving from forgetting to eat?! Aside from cherry pie, she couldn't give a crap less about eating. I've never seen someone more proud of cherry pie annihilation. 

I've begun noticing that her eyes glaze over when I start talking about a dish I'm creating, her mind wandering off to a far away place I'll never visit. Our differences make sharing an apartment a pleasant experience, yet I also feel like she's secretly presenting me with a challenge. I know that if I cook something and she takes an active interest and/or likes it, I've done something right. My younger sister was a picky eater. Impressing a discerning (aka difficult) palate has always been somewhat of a game to me, so I let Thanksgiving be my playground. "Are you want heading home for Thanksgiving?", I asked her. "Candied Yams.", she said. "I'm sorry, you're going where?" "I spaced...sorry. No. I heard your question, then thought you must make the best candied yams." 

Shocked that maybe she hasn't completely shut out everything I say, I stutter a bit and ask, "You want me...to make them? And make us both a Friendsgiving dinner?" 

"That's it. Just the yams", she says.  "Alright", I replied, fully knowing I would find a way to secretly make them spiffier than usual without her being able to resist. I'm like the conniving mother that sneaks vegetables into milkshakes. Yes, they were a hit, and yes, we had cherry pie for dessert. I've made these yams with both Chicago Soy Dairy's Dandies and Sweet and Sara's Plain Marshmallows, and both versions were A++. Oh, and Happy Birthday, Jesus.

 
Candied Masala Yams Coulis Casserole
  • 4 TBSP Vegan Butter
  • 4-5 large Yams
  • 1/2 cup Vegan Brown Sugar
  • 3/4 cup Vegan Heavy Cream 
  • 1/4 cup Soy/Plant Based Creamer (Original Flavor)
  • 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
  • 1/8 tsp Cinnamon
  • 3 Whole Cloves, ground
  • Pinch of Freshly Grated Nutmeg
  • 1 bag of Dandies Vegan Marshmallows (or 1 tub Sweet and Sara Marshmallows or Ricemellow Creme)
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, then boil the yams until very soft to the touch...about 20-30 minutes. 

Drain the yams well, then set aside until cool enough to handle. 

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Peel off the yam skins completely, then place the peeled yams in a large bowl. Use a potato masher to mash the yams up a bit, then set aside. 

In a very large pot over medium heat, melt the vegan butter. Add the brown sugar, heavy cream, soy creamer, garam masala, cinnamon, ground cloves and nutmeg. Whisk together well, then bring the mixture to a simmer while whisking occasionally. Allow the mixture to simmer until the brown sugar has melted completely. 

Add the mashed yams to the pot, and stir to fully combine. Allow the mixture to come to a simmer, stirring occasionally, then remove the pot from heat. Using either a food mill (an immersion blender or food processor will also suffice), pass the mixture though the food mill while straining over a large bowl. 

If you decide to use an immersion blender or food processor, just blend/process until fully pureed. Transfer the yams to a casserole dish, then spread out evenly. Top with Dandies Marshmallows, then bake 20-30 minutes until the marshmallows are golden brown and the center is warm. Let cool a moment prior to serving.

Comments

Anonymous said…
i always thought it was funny that you are a chef and jane does not give a fuck about food. dude, if i was married to a chef i'd be fat as an oompa loompa!

this dish looks yum, BTW.
Wow, you definitely found a way to make yams spiffier than usual. Have I told you that I think you are a genius lately? Well I do and you are! Another brilliant post.

Ha, I think about food constantly too. What to make, when to make it, how I can possibly add chocolate to whatever it is I'm making....ahhh, the life of a food blogger.
I'm with Tasha; you're a genius! Masala Yams? Amazing.

And I totally feel you on the food-obsession. My love, like yours, is a tall drink of water who stays thin as an ubermodel.... however, my girl chows down like a champ! There's photographic proof on me blog. Merry Christmas lady!
Jes said…
Are you sure you'd actually get saved by Maury? I'd refuse to let him make me stop. But that's just me :)

Lovin' the yams, especially with the garam masala--perfect addition!
Shags said…
Jane is 5'9"??? Not without Elton John heels! She just seems that tall because you're a delightful 5' tall (maybe). I would say 5'6" at the most...not counting any spiked hair!

Love you both -- have a great holiday, and looking forward to seeing you soon.

DaddyShags
Jenn Shagrin said…
Dad...Jane towers over you, and you're a whopping 5'5". But I love you too :)
Mike K said…
I just found your blog, and it looks like I've been seriously missing out. I love candied yams, and this casserole looks fantastic. yum!
WHY don't you own a vegan restaurant? OR at least the star chef???
Jenn Shagrin said…
it is kind as worm:

I wish! Hopefully some day I'll get to run my own show in a kitchen besides my home. Thank you :)