Monday, March 16, 2009

Free Form Wild Mushroom Lasagna with Champagne Lemon "Creme" Sauce and Sun Dried Tomato and Roasted Pepper Salsa

I have a deep, insatiable love for mushrooms. [Go ahead. Crack your hallucination jokes now and get them out of your system. Done? Ok.] True, I've taken my fair share of trips on the Magical Mystery Tour Bus...more on that later. But I'm talking about the non-psilocybin riddled variety. Button, crimini, portobella, porcini, wood-ear and, of course, morels. You name it, I love it.

My love for mushrooms started out as a young Shag-let. My mother used to make these amazing Mushroom Turnovers for synagogue pot lucks, family parties, funerals and the like. They were some kind of mushroom mince encased in a mini, flaky pie-like crust. The were kind of like a tiny mushroom filled pie calzone. Unfortunately for Mom, at the age of 8, my petty larceny skills were about as refined as my taste buds. She eventually learned to make more than one batch.

As I grew older, my love for mushrooms deepened. I learned the different types, their best uses and different seasons. I think they have an amazing depth of flavor when sauteed with only a little Earth Balance, White Wine, Salt, Pepper and Garlic. No rice or pasta needed. Just hand me a fork.

Yet, I have a number of friends that can't stand mushrooms. When I traveled to Amsterdam, I payed a visit to the Vegan Cafe at the Unlimited Health Yoga Centre. After a long, informative (cough *excruciating* cough) lecture, I learned that the Cafe's menu is based around the Sattvic diet, which is rooted in the practices of Ayurveda and Yoga. The Sattvic diet, which encourages foods that foster mental and physical clarity and balance, classifies mushrooms as a Tamasic (Energy Draining) food. Well, I don't know about all of you haters out there, but I can say that I've had some experiences with mushrooms that have induced quite the natural high. Ok. That time I cracked my own drug joke.

My only negative experience with mushrooms to date revolves around memory loss, spending two hours with my mother in her mini van "coming back to reality" in a hospital parking lot and a brief stint in rehab, but I'll save that story for another day.

This lasagna is termed "Free Form" because instead of assembling it casserole style in a large dish, you individually stack and plate the servings.

Have fun!

14 comments:

Vegyogini said...

I can hardly wait for the day when you finally cook for me!

dietdessertndogs said...

Seriously, your creations are truly amazing! This looks divine.

Gina said...

This looks....awesome! I used to HATE mushrooms, but I've been trying to be more open to them, haha.

Mandee said...

Looks like a delicious lasagne!

Vanessa said...

oh my gosh. this looks and sounds AMAZING. i am drooling.

quarrygirl said...

i absolutely LOVE mushrooms as well! they one of my favorite foods ever. the only thing is, i haven't tried all the exotic ones. i think yesterday was seriously my first time ever trying a wood ear mushroom. :( i need to get out more.

Glauce Lucas said...

Mushrooms are amazing with everything! We use to cook a pasta sauce with them and soya cream and it's delicious too ;o) Your lasagne looks great!

Zucchini Breath said...

Ha, you are funny! Looks delish to me. I adore mushrooms

Chris @ Beyond Ramen said...

I also confess to a love with mushrooms. The problem is that my favorite way to eat them is with butter in a 1:5, mushroom to butter ratio. It is unfortunate for my waistline. This is a very tasty-looking dish! I found a bunch of frozen cashews in my freezer, so I'll definitely be trying out the cashew cream sometime soon :)

And lol @ Shag-let.

Mihl said...

Your lasagna looks impressive. It is so beautiful abd the lemon creme sauce sounds already great on its own. And yay for mushrooms, I love them too.

Summer Fae said...

I have really enjoyed looking around your blog. I will be trying quite a few recipes. :) I cannot wait.

Sarena Shasteen said...

I love mushrooms and this looks delicious!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Looks good to me! No wonder you like Millennium, it's mushroom heaven!

Movies Gallery 2011 said...

Great post. Thanks for sharing. It was very interesting and meaningful.
Groupon Clone Script| groupon clone| Angry birds clone|