Monday, March 30, 2009

Vegan Lemongrass, Ginger and Coriander Infused Matzo Ball Soup


Passover tends to be a less than thrilling holiday for the Vegan Jew. I suppose I wouldn't really use the adjective "thrilling" to describe any Shagrin family religious-oriented gathering. Well, maybe at my Bat Mitzvah when my Grandma and Aunt J drank too much wine and ended up doing the Macarena on top of a table. That was pretty thrilling to a thirteen-year-old. It was also mildly embarrassing, mostly because I discovered my grandma could kick my ass in a dance competition. I can only hope that Shagrin women, like a fine wine, have a sense of rhythm that ripens with age...or with unbridled consumption of aforementioned wine.

Anyway, I derailed for a minute. Back on track.

Passover is a difficult food holiday for Vegans because many of the recipes are egg/meat laden. The absence of yeast in food products forces many recipes and packaged Passover goods to rely on eggs for their rising effect. Great for Jews, bad for Vegans. And while my Grandma could shake a mean tail-feather on the dance floor (table?), she could shimmy and shake her way through the kitchen like no one else in the family. I would eat so much of her Matzo Ball Soup that I barely had room for the rest of the meal. Don't worry, though. I'd sit for five minutes until letting out a burp large enough to rattle the fine china and every one's nerves, then get down to business with my other grandma's bangin' noodle kugel.

So, why couldn't I just leave well enough alone and Veganize a basic Matzo Ball Soup recipe? Well, as any good Jewish Granddaughter knows, NEVER try to beat Grandma at her own game. Even though she's not with us today, I'm sure my Meemaw would find some way to let me know she was displeased. The first zit I've had in months surfaced on my left temple as I was writing the initial recipe the other day, so I took it as a sign from above to deviate from the standard to a fusion East-Meets-Jew soup.

10 comments:

trina said...

This looks great!

quarrygirl said...

i love the story about your grandma dancin'. seriously dude, i come to your blog 70% for the hilarious first two paragraphs of your post, and 30% for the amazing vegan recipes that i am way too lazy to ever cook.

i think you need to publish a tell-all/recipe book. it would be epic.

Vegyogini said...

I wore a turquoise taffeta bubble-skirted dress at my Bat Mitzvah. Oh, and there was a live band, despite my desire for and begging for a DJ. Nobody danced on tables, though, so I obviously missed out in a huge way. I'm guessing my Nana never heard of lemongrass during her life, but this sounds like an excellent twist on the original!

miss v said...

wow... you are really tackling some things i've never seen veganized. of course, i've never had matzo ball soup anyways, but it sounds interesting.

and three cheers for lemongrass!

Vegyogini said...

If there's ever a reason for you to visit my mom's house, there will be a photo waiting for you...and I think the dress itself is in one of her closets!

miss v said...

either way, i'm glad you post these recipes. because even if i've never had it before, it's never too late to learn (vegan-style, of course). :)

Mihl said...

Your bat mitzvah story totally cracked me up :D

These matzo ball soups are very similar to so called "grießklösschensuppe" we used to eat on Sunday mornings. They are made with semolina. I've wanted to try such a matzo soup for ages, yours sounds very special and delicious!

veganpesach said...

Is vital wheat gluten Kosher for Passover? I never would have thought it was, but I really do hope so... Recipe sounds great!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

DANG, this sounds crazy.. crazy good!

Movies Gallery 2011 said...

Great blog. My mouth is watering. Thanks for sharing.
Yelp Clone Script| Angry birds clone| Groupon Clone|