Share This Page...

Vegan Shrimp, Sausage, Crimini & Caramelized Shallots over Parmesan Grits

I'm officially going through my quarter life crisis. I've threatened many times, but I finally did it. I let Jane cut my hair shorter, give me bangs, and dye it black, and she did an amazing job. Now I look like a 14-year-old emo kid, but I feel so much more "like me" without the blonde hair. I mean, I was never a cheerleader, I don't tend to be vapid, and I never took an active interest in boys or fashion. That's not necessarily true for all blondes, but I didn't like that some made those generalizations about me due to my hair color. The only down side? I now look nothing like my ID, and I have a hard enough time getting into bars as it is. 

In other life news, we're moving back to the Gayborhood! I'm more excited than a kid in a candy store, mostly because I can walk to Whole Foods again.  I also happen to be conveniently located a block from my favorite sex toy shop, which could prove very dangerous to my bank account. What can I say?  I take pride in my collection. Ok, that was definitely a little TMI, but if you've been reading my blog for a while, I'm sure you're used to it. Get over it ;)

This week's recipe was spawned by an interesting experience. When I was visiting Louisiana, I found all these crazy flavors of grits that they don't sell west of the Mississippi.  I was so excited to see grits again that I bought 10 boxes.  I had to buy an extra suitcase just to return them safely to Los Angeles. The only vegan one was the Original Flavor, so, luckily for y'all (like the southern throw-back?), I can provide you with this lovely recipe.

Enjoy this one, folks. Remember to wear purple today in memory and honor of members of the LGBTQI+  community who have taken their own lives. It would mean a lot to me.

Vegan Shrimp, Sausage, Crimini & Caramelized Shallots over Parmesan Grits

For the Grits...
  • 4 cups prepared Better Than Bouillon's No Chicken Broth
  • 1/2 cup Vegan Heavy Creme
  • 1 cup Quick Cook Grits
  • Salt and Freshly Cracked Black Pepper, to taste
  • 1 TBSP Vegan Margarine
  • 1/4 cup finely grated Dr Cow's Tree Nut Cheese or Vegan Parmesan (any flavor)

For the Shrimp...
  • 2 TBSP Vegan Margarine
  • 1 large Shallot, chopped
  • 2 cloves Garlic, minced
  • 1 1/2 cups sliced Crimini Mushrooms
  • 12 oz Field Roast Wild Mushroom Quarter Loaf, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
  • 1 package of Vegetarian Plus Frozen Vegan Shrimp, thawed
  • 1/4 cup Dry White Wine
  • 1 (14.5 oz) can Diced Tomatoes
  • Salt and Freshly Cracked Black Pepper, to taste
  • Red Pepper Flakes, for garnish

In a saucepan over medium heat, bring the No Chicken Broth and Heavy Cream up to a low simmer. Once it begins to simmer, whisk in the grits and a pinch of salt. Return to a low simmer, stirring constantly. Stirring frequently, cook until the mixture has thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the vegan margarine and "Parmesan" cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Heat a 12-14 inch saute pan over medium heat. Once the pan is heated, melt the vegan margarine and saute the shallots, garlic and criminis. Saute until the shallots are translucent and the criminis have softened a bit, then add the Field Roast. Once the Field Roast has cook through and beginning to brown, add the thawed Vegan Shrimp and saute for about 2 more minutes. Add the white wine and diced tomatoes, then bring to a boil for about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Serve over the "Parmesan" Grits and garnish with red pepper flakes, if desired.

Serve immediately.

Comments

I think you look gorgeous with your new haircut and color! And I'm wearing my amethyst mala wrapped around my wrist 4 times in solidarity. :)
a-k said…
You look great! That photo looks eerily real. I'm anticipating your cookbook :-)
a-k said…
What photo I meant by "eerily real" was the dish, not you, necessarily, haha! (Need more sleep.)
Unknown said…
Dude we are so twins, I grew my hair out for 2 years and just 2 weeks ago went back to my Pulp Fiction cut, we are twins! ha

I am glad you getting to move back into your old hood and this looks fantastic - I LOVE LOVE grits.
This looks SO good! I'm going to New Orleans next week for work (last time I was there was in my pre-gan days) and I've been dreaming of a vegan version of shrimp & grits! And your haircut & color look great too :)
HeyitsBeth said…
Holy crap girl, are you living in WeHo now? We might be neighbors!
Rose said…
First of all...the hair looks great, very sultry. I'm not a natural blonde, but more of a mouse-colored hair person...I've never had the guts to dye mine black...but I've oft wanted so to be raven-haired. Maybe, you've inspired me to go for it, maybe...

Anyway, another awesome recipe! Thanks!
i'm likin the coo' new 'do too! (yes that was my pathetic attempt at a witty rhyme)

:) awesome recipe!
Ok, I kinda just fell in love with this recipe. I grew up in Alabama (Army brat) and I loves me some grits (and other Southern staples as well)! This looks amazing, and I am so making it this weekend. Thank you for wearing purple yesterday, I did too, and I made sure I told everyone that came into our office WHY I was wearing it (I work in an insurance office). We need to step OUT, literally. Anyway, take care, glad you're moving, and I happen to LOVE your new look! :-)
Sindy said…
I didn't grow up eating grits, but this sounds delicious! I think your hair should reflect your personality- even if you have to dye it! ;)
Andrew Spong said…
You're a constant source of inspiration, even though it's practically impossible to get almost everything you cook with in the UK :D. I guess you must be shooing publishers off the doorstep with a broom on a daily basis, but: have you considered going down the self-publishing road using Smashwords or something? You need to bookify all this goodness, asap.
Andrew Spong said…
OK, so now I've seen the 'Veganize This' info and feel like a total dork. Where, when, how much?
Lowen said…
I made this recipe two days ago and it was out-fucking-standing! I subbed traditional mimiccreme for the healthy top whipping cream- couldn't find it and didn't want to wait for it to ship to me over the internet-that's how bad I wanted to make this :) Anyhow, it was just amazing. The grits were savory and delicious, the no-chicken base really gives them something special. And topped with the meaty field roast, shrimp and mushrooms....oy. just so freaking good. Thanks for the great recipe. Will def. be making it again and again. :)
Jenn Shagrin said…
Lowen:
Thank you so so much! Hearing that really made my day a better one. I love knowing that I'm not the only one who can whip these bad boys up with success.
Thanks again!!
Lowen said…
:D I seriously love to make your recipes. Your flavor combos and ideas are unique to the vegan blog world and I can't wait to get your book and make that truffle mac and cheese and the other amazing sounding dishes. All i think about is food! And again, thank you for taking the time to make such a great blog. Funny and delicious, I couldn't ask for more.