Share This Page...

Vegan Sonic Frito Chili Cheese Wrap

Alright. I admit it. Unemployment sucks balls...except for the part where I get to cook all the time again. I've been plowing through my stack of recipes one by one. I know I've made this vow out loud before, but I'm reiterating it into the blogosphere as more of a "note to self". I will produce more simple recipes than my brain is currently programed to create. 

This more simple recipe was divinely inspired by my stoner days of drive-through, munchie satisfying goodness. We would get baked, laugh and talk endlessly, then go through a drive through and STFU as soon as the food hit our lips. Even though Sonic airs commercials in Los Angeles just to tease its citizens, the nearest of their restaurants is actually 45 miles out of town. Not only do they put animals through cruelty to feed their patrons, but they feel the need to torture humans as well. A truly winning combination. 

To give them a bonus point, the nearest LA location is on the way to Las Vegas. That scores big in my book. Unfortunately, the only thing I can eat there is a Frito Pie Wrap, hold the chili, hold the cheese, add some veggies. What I end up with are chips wrapped in a tortilla with some limp lettuce and soggy tomato. Can you say "Yum"?! Well, fuck you, Sonic. I will have my Frito Chili Pie Wrap and eat it, too. I even fed it to an omnivore, and they were wickedly impressed with its likeness. 

The most detailed part of the recipe is making the chili, only because you have to make the seitan first and grind it up in a food processor. Don't want to do that? Substitute vegan ground beef. 

*Record scratching sound...
September 13th, 2022 Update: This is Jenn from the future. In the future, ALL of these recipes are so much less complex. Behold, people of 2010. Beyond Meat is in your Vegan Future! Alright now. Use this and preserve your sanity. Back to 2010 [waves an electric wand in front of your face] This never happened.*

If you chose to make the chili, the entire recipe is doable in 2-3 hours...and that's with some down time while the seitan and chili cook themselves. 

I'm definitely replicating more fast-food favorites in vegan form. There is just something so incredibly satisfying about having the ability to eat something that would typically be a no-go. It's not only about having fun, but taking a stand for what I believe is right: Veganism doesn't impose limitations, rather opens the doors to creativity. I simply refuse to be told what can and cannot be done.

 
Vegan Sonic Frito Chili Cheese Wrap
  • 8 Flour Tortillas
  • 1/2 cup diced Red Onions
  • 1 batch of Vegan No Bean Chili (recipe follows)
  • 1 cup shredded Vegan Cheddar Cheese
  • 4 cups of Fritos Chips
Warm the tortillas in either the toaster or microwave to make them pliable. Place a 1/2 cup of Fritos in each tortilla, then add a ladle of chili, a sprinkle of red onions and 1/2 cup of Daiya cheddar. Enjoy! 

Vegan No Bean Chili
  • 1 batch of Vegan Beef, finely ground in a food processor (Or substitute Vegan Ground Beef)
  • 2-3 cloves Garlic, minced
  • 1 large Onion, chopped
  • 2 1/2 TBSP Chili Powder
  • 1 tsp Dried Oregano
  • 1 tsp Ground Cumin
  • 1 tsp Hot Pepper Sauce
  • 1 14 oz can Crushed Tomatoes
  • 1 14 oz can Tomato Sauce
  • 1/8 cup Red Wine Vinegar
  • Salt and Pepper, to taste
Heat a large pot or dutch oven over medium high heat, then add the ground vegan beef to the pot. Add the onion and garlic, stir to combine, then cook until the ground "beef" begins to brown. Drain off any excess liquid. Add in the Chili Powder, Oregano, Cumin and Hot Sauce. Stir in the Tomatoes and Vinegar. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer for about an hour, stirring occasionally. Serve. 

 Beef Style Seitan 

“Beef” Seitan Dough:
  • 1 cup Arrowhead Mills® Vital Wheat Gluten
  • 1 cup Water
  • 1 tsp Better Than Bouillon® No Beef Broth paste (not diluted in H20)
  • 1 TBSP Vegan Heavy Cream
“Beef” Seitan Broth
  • 8 cups prepared Better Than Bouillon® No Beef Broth (8 tsp paste
  • diluted in 8 cups water)
  • 6 dried Shitake Mushrooms
  • 1/8 cup Tamari
  • 1 Portobello Mushroom Cap, chopped
  • 1 TBSP Garlic Powder
  • 2 tsp Onion Powder
  • 2 Bay Leaves
First, add all of the Seitan Broth ingredients to a large pot and bring to a boil. While it's heating up, using a stand mixer, mix together all of the Seitan Dough ingredients. Don't over-mix...just let the mixer go until it's all combined. The dough should be softer than usual. 

Using your hands, mold the dough into a large ball. Flatten the ball out on a cutting board, and use a sharp knife or kitchen shears to cut into six pie-wedge shaped pieces. Drop into the boiling broth. Let it cook for about 1 hour, stirring every 10-15 minutes. Using tongs, remove the "beef" from the broth, and place in a colander to drain. Allow to cool until ready to use.

Comments

Way to stand up for what's right in the world!
Desdemona said…
"It's not only about having fun, but taking a stand for what I believe is right: Veganism doesn't impose limitations, rather opens the doors to creativity. I simply refuse to be told what can and cannot be done." This is my philosophy as well; few things give me more pleasure than taking some supposedly "impossible" recipe and veganizing the crap (literally) out of it - go, you!
OH NO YOU DI'INT!!!! Here in TX there are massive, frightening, mega churches (similar to a religious super walmart), and across the street from every.single.one. is a.... you guessed it! Sonic!

Makes me ill. Lit-rully ill. But I will admit that back in my ston....uhhh college days I could really get down with a route 44 berry limeade slush.

Can't wait to make your seitan! I've been making the same one ever since I learned how to make it, and it tastes like non-descript meat. Let's get beefy!
Chrissy said…
that. looks. amazing. I must make it!!
Jill said…
Friot chips in a wrap...OMG. That sounds like the most crunchy and delicious idea every.
Unknown said…
Your blog has been nominated in the Humor category for a Lezzy Award. Please visit http://thelesbianlifestyle.com/the-rules/ for more information about the awards. The top 3 nominated blogs in each category will move on to the voting round! Congrats and good luck!
Jes said…
I'm just going to say it: those are **so** wrong. But if I were drunk I'd be all about 'em!
WoahMolly said…
Hi Jen,

I saw you on Jezebel.com in Sita Young's Vanity NoFair Young Hollywood picture. Woo! I knew it was you straight away from the awesome middle part! Nice one...
Jenn Shagrin said…
Hey Marlee:
That's awesome! I'm so glad people are catching it on there. It's been posted to a few other sites as well. Thanks for letting me know :)
miss v said…
looks deliciously awesome. i made a frito pie a while back and was crazy happy with childlike delight.
house vegan said…
SONIC!!! I miss the grilled cheese and pickles sandwiches I used to get there. That sounds really gross in description, but they were awesome!

Actually now it just sounds gross.

I'm glad you're liking Offbeat Bride!
Cortney said…
I was always a sucker for their grilled cheese made with Texas Toast. And I'd dip it in gravy.

What the hell was wrong with me? And congrats on the nomination!
two vegan boys said…
Yum. I am so going to make this. And there IS a Sonic everywhere here in Texas. Sad, but true.
Jenn Shagrin said…
Two Vegan Boys:
Yay :) Let me know when you do!
Mike K said…
Bring on the fast food adaptations! I still remember my last fast food meal, at a place which shall not be named. I had a sort of epiphany sitting in my car, which makes me think how something off the 99 cent menu can have as much as an impact as the volumes of great lit on animal rights and veganism. To sum it up, I just remember thinking "this is gross, and stupid, and you're (me) an asshole for taking part in it, when you do know better." This was quite a few years ago, but I still remember the taste in my mouth...yuck.

Anyway, this looks awesome! Fast food flavors are totally worth going after in vegan form, and fritos in a burrito is high art in my book.
Anonymous said…
I think you pretty much just Sonic's ass. This looks better than theirs could ever look and probably is even served warm.
HA! Take that Sonic! This looks a million times better than anything a gross fast food restaurant can offer. Sometimes stoner food is the best food, and this is the perfect example of why. It looks AWESOME.
Chrissy said…
I made this today! It was delicious!! Do you have any tips for browning the beef seitan? Mine turned out to be very spongy and didn't brown very well.
Chrissy said…
hey jenn! i just uploaded a picture, and wanted to show you what my sonic chili wrap thingy look liked- I hope it does your recipe justice!!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=36616485&l=d4927d9d16&id=31711473