Share This Page...

Marsala-Roasted Chickpea, Heirloom Tomato & Black Garlic Vegan Panzanella

There are moments in a young woman's life that shine much brighter than the typical day-to-day happenings. You know the usual suspects: First day of college, buying your first car, first Herpes outbreak...you get the picture. As of late, I'm finding that my stand-out moments in my life highlight that I'm a huge dork. For example, one of my favorite days of 2009 was when my mom gave me an immersion blender. I was so excited, I blended foods that should never be blended. Like sandwiches. And pasta dishes. And maybe even pancakes with syrup. I get slap-happy excited sometimes. 

The immersion blender day is just one example. Deeper introspection unveils what I consider to be one of the best days of my entire life: The day I first ate an Heirloom Tomato. Sure, I'd known "different colored" tomatoes existed. I didn't sit through the movie Fried Green Tomatoes, barely able to hear as my mom bawled like a baby surrounded everyone in the theater to walk and not learn things. 

I didn't actually get to experience the wonders of the heritage, vine ripened varietal until years later. I remember it like it was just yesterday... 

It was a breezy, late summer morning at the Santa Monica Farmers Market. The air smelled of sea breeze, dark roast coffee and drunk people's urine. I had just moved to Los Angeles about a year prior, was dirt poor, and actively finding ways of scamming free [non-crap-filled] food. I felt like the deli case employees at Whole Foods were catching on to my "ask for 10 samples and not actually buy anything" tactic, so I decided to try a new approach. Farmers Market freebies. Perfect early morning sunlight, fresh air and a nutritional breakfast. 

I did my research, and found myself strolling the 3rd Street Promenade while stuffing my face with pluots, French bread and oranges. I was almost at the end of the walkway when I spotted it: A double tent hovering above tables filled with tomatoes - their skins spanned every cold of the rainbow. Did I mention there were free sample trays of each variety? Maybe I shouldn't, because then the farmers might hunt me down and ask me why I ate at least 2 pounds of their advertising. 

I've had a torrid love affair with Heirloom Tomatoes ever since. There's not a single cultivar that doesn't do the tango on my taste buds. I eat them like apples, dress them up with a little vinegar, oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper, I make sauces with them. I can't get enough. I easily spend at least $200 during Heirloom season, yet firmly believe that cable television is an unjustifiable expense. Well, like I said, I'm a huge dork. Get 'em while they're still in season
.
In other news, I'm fostering this adorable puppy. Now I know I'm ready for a dog of my own.

He may look sweet, but he's quite the little instigator. Look at him just waiting to strike!
That's his "I'm about to eat your undies the second you avert your eyes" face. I adore him, and I know his new forever home will, too.

 
Marsala-Roasted Chickpea, Heirloom Tomato & Black Garlic Vegan Panzanella

For the Panzanella...
  • 1 lb of Day-Old French Baguettes or Tuscan Bread
  • 3 mixed Heirloom Tomatoes, largely diced
  • 1 large Cucumber, peeled and diced
  • 1 Red Onion, halved and thinly sliced
  • 1 batch of Marsala-Roasted Chickpeas
  • About 1/3 cup of Olive Oil
  • 2 TBSP Sherry Vinegar
  • 2 TBSP Balsamic Vinegar
  • 3 cloves Black Garlic, minced
  • 2 cloves Garlic, minced
  • Handful of Fresh Basil Leaves, Chiffonade (cut into thin ribbons)
  • Salt and Pepper, to taste
For the Marsala-Roasted Chickpeas...
  • 1 can Chickpeas, drained well
  • 2 1/2 tsp Olive Oil
  • 2 tsp Marsala Wine
  • 1 tsp Tamari
  • 1 1/2 tsp Fresh Lemon Juice
  • 1 tsp Herb de Provence
  • 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
  • 1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
  • Pinch of Vegan Cane Sugar
Chef's Note: If you can't find Black Garlic (garlic fermented at high temperatures...insanely flavorful), just add 2 more cloves of plain garlic. 

First, make the roasted chickpeas. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Place the drained chickpeas in a 9 x 9 casserole dish. In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients and pour over the chickpeas. Toss well to coat the chickpeas. Roast the chickpeas in the oven for 25-30 minutes, stirring twice during the roasting process. Set aside to cool. 

Next, take the day-old bread and lightly moisten it with running water from your faucet. It should be slightly moistened the whole way through. If it's too wet, squeeze out the excess liquid. 

Use your hands to tear the moistened bread into small pieces, then set in a large bowl while you prep the rest of your veggies. Once the tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, garlic and basil are prepped and the chickpeas are cool, add them all to the large bowl with the torn bread and toss to combine. 

Whisk together the olive oil and vinegar, then pour over top of the salad. Add salt and pepper, then toss well to combine. Taste for salt and pepper, then serve immediately. 

Serve immediately, or place in the refrigerator for 1/2 hour before serving.

Comments

Foodeater said…
I love your new little beast!
Susan said…
Your puppy is super cute. :)

I love heirloom tomatoes, I just wish that I could get them more readily here!
That puppy is SO CUTE!

And that salad looks fresh and AMAZING! Really a beautiful photo.
janelle said…
First, I LOVE the movie Fried Green Tomatoes. It's definitely in my top 10.

Second, I share your love of heirloom tomatoes. My garden is full of them, more than I could possibly eat or give away, lol!

Finally, your new puppy is adorable! Puppies are the best, aren't they? Enjoy him!
Oh, my goodness, look at the adorable new baby! He is SO CUTE! I can't wait to meet him.

This recipe looks incredible and now I feel the need to hunt down this black garlic of which I've never heard.
¡Yo Soy Liz! said…
I just recently got turned on to heirloom tomatoes and now I'm an addict!!! I still don't really know anything about them though. Are there some kinds that are better than others?
soyfarts said…
You have Popeye mouth, Why?
quarrygirl said…
I WANNA MEET BASIL!!!!!! fuckin adorable!
Jenn Shagrin said…
Dear SoyFarts...
On this page, we Veganize...Don't Criticize.
Anonymous said…
I L O V E heirloom tomatoes and I can't wait to try this salad.

Also, Basil is adorable! Brace yourself for the challenges of potty training and teething...it's so worth it!
Jes said…
The pup! so cute! And the salad, so mouthwatering! I'm afraid the tomato days have drawn to a close over here (the wailing already commenced), but damn, if I could get my hands on some I'd whip this up in a heartbeat!
Jenn Shagrin said…
Anonymous:
They are, by far, the best produce out there.

And thank you! We just finished training our first pup, Shwee, so we're well equipped to handle the little devil's messes :)
Anonymous said…
"Popeye mouth" it is possible she had a stroke, insensitive comment Soyfart!
iRaw said…
o.m.g! I'm in absolute love with Basil...what a sweet lil pup!!

AND your salad looks amazing! Marsala-Roasted Chickpeas? Girl you totally rock!
Jenn Shagrin said…
Anonymous...
Thank you for standing by my side. The recovery process is full of backwards steps ;)
Awww, Devil! I want some Panzanella, please!
Blogger said…
WE'RE LOOKING FOR LIVE CAM MODELS!
GENERATE UP TO $10,000 PER WEEK.
REGISTER AS A BONGA MODELS CAM MODEL TODAY!