Share This Page...

Vegan Green Papaya Salad (Som Tum)

While I was perusing the Santa Monica Wednesday Farmer's Market last week, I spotted a sign that read "Green Papayas for Sale". 

I rubbed my eyes really hard, trying to make sure the previous evening's libations weren't still effecting my vision. Nope! The sign was still there - clear as day. I was actually in a state of shock. I walked over, picked up one of the emerald gems and smiled wider than a kid let loose in a chocolate swimming pool. 

I have this deep obsession with Green Papaya Salad, known in it's native country of Thailand as Som Tum. It's flavor graces every one of the taste buds. It's embodies Umami, hitting every flavor note in maximum harmony.  It's savory, sweet, spicy and served chilled. The perfect dish on a summer evening. 

Green Papaya Salad is simply fantastic. Bless your little soul should you dine at a Thai restaurant with me and try to take a bite. Having a chopstick impale your hand is not a pleasant experience. Anyway, the first time I tried to make it on my own, I wasn't as familiar with the Thai markets in Los Angeles as I am today.  I embarked on a 5-hour voyage. I searched high and low, east side and west side, until I was finally able to locate one in the Valley. DEEP in the valley. 

Those of you that know Los Angeles probably understand why I wasn't itching to make it again. I can buy it at restaurants within a 1 mile radius of wherever I'm located. Clearly, my karma bank is in the positive right now as the universe decided to throw me some chips. The authentic version calls for actual Fish Sauce, but if you can't find Vegetarian Fish Sauce, you can use tamari instead.

[Recipe can be found in Cookbook, or you can email me. Tell me a funny story from your life, and I'll reply with the recipe.]

Comments

Anonymous said…
ok, i've never even heard of green papaya salad, but this has got me so friggin' intrigued! looks awesome. i reading about your culinary endeavors...i only wish i was that creative!