Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Viva la Vegan Cupcakes!

I love cupcakes, but honestly, who doesn't?  Far be it from me to be the one sippin' on Hater-ade.  I will say this: I'm a much better cook than I am baker.  For some reason, the chemistry behind creating cuisine comes much more naturally to me than the science behind great baking.  None the less, I LOVE to bake, and I'll keep at it until I'm a Cupcake Master(ress?)!

Anyway, last night, my place of employment, Jax Vegan Cafe, hosted a bowling night.  I agreed to make cupcakes, but my silly ass waited until the last minute to do so.  The cupcakes I brought to the party, well, I would have liked them to be a little better frosted.  But after I arrived home I played around with some different frostings, and I was very pleased with the results.  The cake recipe is based on Isa Chandra Moskowitz's Coconut Heaven Cupcakes from Vegan With A Vengeance.  She's one of my frickin' heros.  But the cake recipe for this cupcake is just a little too dense for my tastes, unless I've been making them incorrectly...which is entirely possible since I seriously lack skills.  I played around with it a bit, and found that adding some apple cider vinegar to the batter really lightens it up.  I also whip a bit of vegan buttah, and add it to the batter for an extra bit of flava' haha.  The cupcakes are a little lighter, and I make my own version of a frosting that excludes coconut milk and adds an almond flare!  I like a light, whipped frosting...and I like a lot of it :)
I don't want to post the recipe as I want leave ISM's genius to the ones that invest in her books, but here's some photos to drool over.

Vegan Coconut Cupcakes with 
Vanilla Almond Frosting
(Notice the Photoshopped lens flare in the photo...doesn't that make them look extra special?!)


As lovely as these bad-boys looked with piped frosting, I thought maybe it was a bit of overkill.  I'm definitely a fan of a proportional cake to frosting ratio, so I did a toned-down version with a spatula.

Mmmmmmmm.

0 comments: