Share This Page...

Viva la Vegan Cupcakes!

I love cupcakes, but honestly, who doesn't? I'll be the last one judging anyone or sippin' on Hater-ade.  
I will admit this once - I'm a much better chef than than baker.  For some reason, the chemistry behind creating cuisine comes much more naturally to me than the science behind great baking. Regardless, I love to bake, and I'll keep at it until I'm a cupcake master(ress?).

Last night, my place of employment, Jax Vegan Cafe, hosted a bowling night.  I agreed to bake cupcakes, but my silly ass waited until the last minute to do so.  The cupcakes I brought to the party definitely could have looked more professionally frosted. I went home and played around with some different frostings, and I was very pleased with the results.  The cake recipe is based on Isa Chandra Moskowitz's Coconut Heaven Cupcakes from Vegan With A Vengeance.  She's one of my frickin' heros.  

I don't know if I correctly executed the recipe the first time. They were way too dense. Also, my over is a piece of shit that can ruin any perfectly written recipe. I played around with it a bit, and found that adding some apple cider vinegar to the batter really lightened it up.  I also whip a bit of vegan buttah, then add it to the batter for an extra bit of flavor.  The cupcakes are a little lighter, and I make my own version of a frosting that excludes coconut milk and adds an almond essence.  I like my frosting like I like my women: whipped.

I don't want to post the recipe as I want leave ISM's genius to the ones that invest in her books, but here's some photos to drool over.

[Recipe can be found in Cookbook, or you can email me. Tell me a funny story from your life, and I'll reply with the recipe.]

Vegan Coconut Cupcakes with 
Vanilla Almond Frosting


(Notice the Photoshopped lens flare in the photo...doesn't that make them look extra special?!)



As lovely as these bad-boys looked with piped frosting, I thought maybe it was a bit of overkill.  I'm definitely a fan of a proportional cake to frosting ratio, so I did a toned-down version with a spatula.


Mmmmmmmm.

Comments