Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Vegan Black Garlic and Chanterelle Chicken Korma with Saffron and Cinnamon Infused Basmati

Despite the sexual allure of the above photograph, Indian food is not really "my type". Don't get me wrong, I'm very open minded and love something about every cuisine. But let's imagine this scenario...

I walk into a bar, hungry and ready for action. I casually slide up on a bar stool, being careful to sit so that it looks like my feet can actually reach the ground. I look up from my Mai Tai to notice that a gorgeous plate of pasta puttanesca is batting her sultry lashes at me. I give her a sly grin and wave her over.

"Can I buy you a drink?" I ask.

"Dirty Martini with Olives and Olive Oil" she states.

Yes ma'am.

I am immediately lured by her intoxicating aroma of fresh minced garlic. She takes a long slurp of her drink and I...Oh my, this is too much. I lean in for a huge bite, then pull away. My cheeks are red from a mixture of blushing and sauce.

"I'm sorry. I couldn't resist".

I look away for a moment to collect myself only to notice that a bowl of Tofu Paneer is attempting to make accidental eye contact. *Sigh*. Women. I look back to Puttanesca.

"Let's get out of here. I've got a batch of vegan parmesan you can slip into and feel a little more comfortable. Did I mention I have sterling silver forks?"

Her eyes light up and she takes my hand. On our way out, I give a casual nod and smile to the Paneer. "I'll be back", I mouth at her, making sure to wink in a non-'lester fashion. Hopefully she'll stick around.

Ok...maybe that's a slight over-exageration on how I feel about Indian food. Italian food always wins, but I really love the exciting combination of spices and flavors utilized in Indian cuisine.

Just so Paneer doesn't feel too badly about herself, I thought I'd give a go at one of the more popular dishes of her native land.

No recipe for this week. I just thought I'd post some fun, alluring photos. I'm saving this bad boy for the cookbook. Have a great week!

Some Lovely Chanterelles

Simmering in the pot...

19 comments:

E-BAD said...

This is great. Love your blog. I'm not a vegan but I wish I was. A lifetime of vegetarianism and environmentalism should have pushed me to it, but maybe this blog will. I'll certainly follow. Thanks!

- the post post modern hoe

quarrygirl said...

it's funny how you aren't really that into indian food...but this is one of THE BEST CURRIES i've ever had in my life.

nailed it! and dude, your seitan chicken rocks.

if you ever need a job, maybe you can come be a full time chef at the quarry house. LOL, i can dream!

Vegyogini said...

You're such a tease! ;)

I do love Indian food and am thoroughly enticed by this post.

Trinity (of haiku tofu) said...

I never realized it before you set the scene, but that's exactly how I'd react if I was approached by those two dishes in a bar. I ADORED Indian cuisine when I lived in England, but here in Texas, I can't find much good stuff. Last night I ate some takeout from the ONLY Indian restaurant in town(it's located in a gas station). The samosa was yum, the actual meal...ehhh.

So to get to the point- when is your cookbook coming out? Cause I could seriously use some good Indian food in my life.

monikajz said...

Ahaaah your stories are fucking hilarious and that dish looks scrummmptious! Can't wait for the cookbook :)

JennShaggy said...

Thanks, Monikajz...sincerely appreciated :)

Ratsofritz said...

Oh, my, what a tantalizing taunt! There is NO question your cookbook will be a resounding success. The anticipation is palatable...

JennShaggy said...

Thanks, Ratsofritz! I certainly hope so :)

Lauren said...

anything savory with cinnamon mixed in has been at the top of my list lately..this sounds divine! :)

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

I'll take those Indian food sloppy seconds!

The Voracious Vegan said...

That tofu paneer will come home with me for a night of unbridled passion, thank you very much. Italian food leaves me cold, but Indian food is the stuff of dreams, of fantasies, the tastes and textures nearest and dearest to my heart...errr, tastebuds.

THIS looks amazing! That picture is overwhelming and has me hungry all over again.

runlonger said...

Hello there, I enjoy your posts and recipes immensely. I was wondering if you could post an update on what is happening with Jeezy?

JennShaggy said...

Runlonger:
Thank you! We unfortunately were not able to get the dog back in our custody. We tried hard to work with an attorney, but it was a losing battle. We just trust that she's in safe hands.

ross said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
runlonger said...

Jenn, I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work out with the dog. I hope she is getting as much love as she's used to.

runlonger said...

Jenn, I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work out with the dog. I hope she is getting as much love as she's used to.

JennShaggy said...

Runlonger:
Thank you :) We both really appreciate that.

kisiselurunler said...

All meals are rich in vitamin a garlic flavor and adds a natural antibiotic and he is good in my swine flu garlica sarımsak hapı

modifiedbears said...

Was the recipe taken down?