Share This Page...

Vegan Black Garlic Chicken Korma with Saffron & Cinnamon-Infused Basmati Rice

Despite the sexual allure of the above photograph, I don't have much experience cooking Indian cuisine. Don't get me wrong. I research cuisines from every region of the globe like I’m getting paid for it. 

Let's use this imaginary scenario my overly-creative brain invented to make an unnecessary point:

I walk into a bar, hungry and ready for action. I casually slide up on a bar stool, intentionally half-sitting  so that it looks like my feet actually reach the ground. I look up from my Mai Tai to notice that a gorgeous plate of pasta puttanesca is batting her sultry lashes at me. I give her a sly grin and wave her over with my eyes. 

"Can I buy you a drink?" I ask. "Dirty Martini with Olives and Olive Oil" she declares, raising a brow. 

"Yes ma'am.", I respond.   

I am immediately lured by her intoxicating aroma of fresh minced garlic. She takes a long slurp of her drink, then things get awkward. I lean in, take a huge bite, then pull away. My cheeks are red from a mixture of blushing and sauce. 

I try to sound shameless when saying, "I'm sorry. I couldn't resist".

Consent, Jenn's imagination. Consent is key.

I look away for a moment to collect myself only to notice that a bowl of Tofu Paneer is attempting to make accidental eye contact. *Sigh*. Women. I look back to Puttanesca. "Let's get out of here. I've got a block of vegan parmesan you can slip into and feel a little more comfortable. Did I mention I have solid silver forks?" 

Puttanesca's eyes light up, and grabs takes my hand. On our way out, I give a casual nod and smile to the Paneer. "I'll be back", I mouth at her, smoothly winking in a non-creepy way. Hopefully she'll stick around. 

Hopefully, this imaginary scenario explains how I feel about Indian cuisine. Italian food is usually first on my mind, but my palate is expanding with age and experience. I really love the exciting combination of spices and flavors utilized in Indian cuisine. I didn't want Ms. Paneer to feel second best in any way, so I dedicate this post to her. 

There's no recipe posted here anymore. You can find it in my Cookbook in early 2011.  

Have a great week!

Some Lovely Chanterelles


Simmering in the pot...

Comments

E-BAD said…
This is great. Love your blog. I'm not a vegan but I wish I was. A lifetime of vegetarianism and environmentalism should have pushed me to it, but maybe this blog will. I'll certainly follow. Thanks!

- the post post modern hoe
Anonymous said…
it's funny how you aren't really that into indian food...but this is one of THE BEST CURRIES i've ever had in my life.

nailed it! and dude, your seitan chicken rocks.

if you ever need a job, maybe you can come be a full time chef at the quarry house. LOL, i can dream!
You're such a tease! ;)

I do love Indian food and am thoroughly enticed by this post.
I never realized it before you set the scene, but that's exactly how I'd react if I was approached by those two dishes in a bar. I ADORED Indian cuisine when I lived in England, but here in Texas, I can't find much good stuff. Last night I ate some takeout from the ONLY Indian restaurant in town(it's located in a gas station). The samosa was yum, the actual meal...ehhh.

So to get to the point- when is your cookbook coming out? Cause I could seriously use some good Indian food in my life.
Unknown said…
Ahaaah your stories are fucking hilarious and that dish looks scrummmptious! Can't wait for the cookbook :)
Jenn Shagrin said…
Thanks, Monikajz...sincerely appreciated :)
Ratsofritz said…
Oh, my, what a tantalizing taunt! There is NO question your cookbook will be a resounding success. The anticipation is palatable...
Jenn Shagrin said…
Thanks, Ratsofritz! I certainly hope so :)
Unknown said…
anything savory with cinnamon mixed in has been at the top of my list lately..this sounds divine! :)
I'll take those Indian food sloppy seconds!
That tofu paneer will come home with me for a night of unbridled passion, thank you very much. Italian food leaves me cold, but Indian food is the stuff of dreams, of fantasies, the tastes and textures nearest and dearest to my heart...errr, tastebuds.

THIS looks amazing! That picture is overwhelming and has me hungry all over again.
RunLonger said…
Hello there, I enjoy your posts and recipes immensely. I was wondering if you could post an update on what is happening with Jeezy?
Jenn Shagrin said…
Runlonger:
Thank you! We unfortunately were not able to get the dog back in our custody. We tried hard to work with an attorney, but it was a losing battle. We just trust that she's in safe hands.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
RunLonger said…
Jenn, I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work out with the dog. I hope she is getting as much love as she's used to.
RunLonger said…
Jenn, I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work out with the dog. I hope she is getting as much love as she's used to.
Jenn Shagrin said…
Runlonger:
Thank you :) We both really appreciate that.
Unknown said…
All meals are rich in vitamin a garlic flavor and adds a natural antibiotic and he is good in my swine flu garlica sarımsak hapı
Anonymous said…
Was the recipe taken down?