Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Individual Broccoli, "Cheddar" and Rice Casseroles in a Chanterelle and Rosemary Cream Sauce


I had my first "mom" moment today. Our lovely little Jack Russel/Chihuahua mix, Shwee, took a trip to the vet for her vaccinations. We thought all was well, then a few hours later, her muzzle turns redder than a strawberry and starts puffing up like a penguin in heat.

Me: "Jane...does Shwee look funny to you?"

Jane: "Oh shit."

We grab Shwee in our arms and run across the street to the pet hospital, hearts beating faster than the sound of our feet on the pavement.

The second we bust in the door, the guy running the desk takes one look at her. "Oh no. Allergic reaction!", he yells. He pages a tech to the front who whisks Shwee out of Jane's arms and off to some unknown place where sick animals go to either be saved or bite the big biscuit. My heart falls to my feet. I feel this deep churning in my gut that I've never felt before: the pang of a worried mother.

Now I know how my mom felt every time I fell terribly ill...or if I even just had a bad case of the hick-ups.

Besides doing an excellent job at being a hypochondriac for me, my mom is also one hell of a chef. She could bang out one hell of a casserole. As the leaves turn to their autumn hues (but not in sunny California, bitches...hah!), I start planning my Thanksgiving menu. Sure, it may be a bit in advance, but I'm a highly motivated kid. This week marks the start of my slew of Thanksgiving goodness.

Stay warm, east coasters :)

Individual Broccoli, "Cheddar" and Rice Casseroles in a
Chanterelle and Rosemary Cream Sauce

  • 1/4 lb Vegan Margarine
  • 6 cloves fresh Garlic, minced
  • 1 TBSP Fresh Rosemary, finely minced
  • 3 TBSP All Purpose Flour
  • 2-3 TBSP Water
  • 1 3/4 cup MimicCreme (or Vegan Buttermilk)
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
  • Freshly Cracked Black Pepper, to taste
  • 1 16 oz package Frozen Chopped Broccoli, thawed (or 3 1/2 cups Fresh, chopped)
  • 1 lb Chanterelle Mushrooms, roughly chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups Vegan Cheddar Cheese, finely grated (preferably Daiya)
  • 3 cups cooked White Rice
  • 1/4 cup seasoned Vegan Bread Crumbs

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.

Melt the vegan margarine in a large skillet over high heat, then add the garlic and rosemary. Saute for about 30 seconds, then stir in the flour to create a roux.

Add the chopped chanterelles, and stir well to fully combine.

Lower the heat to medium high, stir in the water, and cook, stirring frequently, for about 2-3 minutes until the mushrooms begin to soften.

Slowly whisk in the MimicCreme, then lower the heat to medium and bring the sauce to a slow boil while stirring frequently.

Add salt and pepper to taste.

Combine the thawed broccoli, rice, 1 cup of the vegan cheddar and chanterelle sauce in a large bowl, then spoon the mixture into 6 separate ramekins. (You can also spoon all of the mixture into one large casserole dish, but see the different baking directions below*.) Top each ramekin (or the 1 large casserole) with even amounts of the remaining 1/2 cup of cheddar and bread crumbs.

Bake in your preheated oven, covered with foil, for 15 minutes. Remove the foil, then allow the casseroles to bake an additional 5 minutes until the cheese is bubbly.

*For one large casserole dish, bake in your preheated oven, covered with foil, for 20 minutes. Remove the foil, then allow the casserole to bake an additional 10 minutes until the top is brown and the cheese is bubbly.


Serve.

17 comments:

Vegyogini said...

I'm so glad Shwee is ok after that terrible reaction! Poor pup!

Unlike you, I'm finding myself unmotivated this year for Thanksgiving. I'm sure I'll whip up something, but my inspiration is sorely lacking and I'd rather just chill at home instead of going through the whole to-do.

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Oh, poor Shwee! I hope everything is OK!

Gina said...

Oh, this is so my style. Well, except for the mushrooms, although I've honestly never tried chanterelles. I like the meatier mushrooms though. I'll eat portobellos and I tried lobster mushrooms for the first time and they were really good. What kind of texture do the chanterelles have?

Gina said...

Oh, and I'm glad that Shwee is okay :) Vaccine allergies are pretty common, we see them almost every day!

Mihl said...

Poor Shwee!
Wow that is an awesome recipe and although I have to grab a lot of bucks from my wallet to get 1 lb of chanterelles I am totally making these for the holidays.

a-k said...

Glad Shwee is OK!

This looks tasty, I love chanterelles!

And hey, what about us midwesterners? ;-)

yosoyblog said...

nothing's worse than having to take our doggie friends to the hospital! hope she is well!

this dish looks super tasty!

Trinity (of haiku tofu) said...

hope your poor pup is recovering well. your creamy casserole looks delish! thanks, mom!

veganmeme said...

Aw, poor pup. Hope she's feeling better.

That sounds like an awesome recipe. Hopefully I can get hold of Chanterelles around here.

Jes said...

Oh no! I hope your pup is ok! Too bad you can't serve her a nice casserole :) I'd perk up if someone handed one of those to me!

stellatex said...

Man, this look delicious!!! Gotta get my hands on some of this MimiCreme.

Hope Shwee (adorable!) is doing well. My cat recently had surgery, and I know how you feel. Poor little guys.

Ricki said...

Poor Shwee! And poor you having to worry! Hope all is well.

Recipe sounds great--perfect addition to a Thanksgiving table. And I'd gladly give up those autumn leaves for the CA sunshine!

The Voracious Vegan said...

POOR PUPPY! Oh that sweet little thing. I feel so bad for the both of you, that must have been an awful experience.

I am an extremely over protective doggy mama, is seems all I do is worry about them. I know how overwhelming it can be when they get sick. Ughghg....

On a happier note, this dish looks AMAZING! What a perfect addition to a holiday meal, thank you for the idea.

(no)more_cheese_please said...

All of your recipes look amazing! You are so creative and gourmet... totally jealous.

abc said...

good....................................................................................................

edg15fdd said...

Such attentively manages your article ~
..................................................

vgf2s32d said...

Such attentively manages your article ~
..................................................