Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Lemon Artichoke Cavatelli in an Heirloom Tomato Creme Vinaigrette with English Peas and Vegan Prosciutto

For the past 5 years I've lived in California, I buy myself a planner/organizer at the beginning of January. I don't really make New Years resolutions, but for whatever reason, I tell myself that in this new year my life will be different. It will be organized. I will write down appointments, bills due and birthdays. I might even write down a witty statement or two. Well, lets just say I don't have 5 years of documented paid utilities and chronological poignancy...but I do have a shelf full of empty day planners that report what I did up until about January 15th of 2004-2009.

Spontaneity is the name of the game in LA, and I've really come to embrace it. Except the time 10 cop cars stopped traffic right in front of me on the 101 freeway and an armed criminal ran right past my front bumper. That was a bit much. Anyway...

Just today, I was given the opportunity last minute to have dinner with one of my favorite vegan chefs, Isa Chandra Moskowitz. It was amazing to meet her. I feel like I may have rambled like an idiot, but I can't even care. My first vegan culinary endeavors were provoked by Vegan With A Vengeance, and it was so great to enjoy a meal with a woman that's inspired me in more ways than I can count. So thank you, Isa. You kick some serious ass.

My original topic for this post was going to be all about my new apartment. This is the first recipe I've cooked in my new kitchen, and I couldn't be more pleased with the oven here or the lighting. And I can't forget to mention that 3 of my favorite vegan restaurants will deliver right to my doorstep (cough *Bulan* cough).

I'll save all that for next week. What's important is that I'm finally settled in my new place, which means my blogging will resume it's normal schedule.

PS: Next week is my one year Blogaversary. I'm registered at Sur La Table and Bed Bath and Beyond.

6 comments:

miss v said...

you got to eat with isa! you crazy lucky girl!!! this recipe looks divine... and i love that tomato creme vinaigrette - i could easily adapt that for a quick salad dressing if i'm not making a full meal.

Jes said...

That pasta dish looks amazing! Vegan prosciutto?! I've got to get on that stat!

Have fun settling in to your new place!

Vegyogini said...

What?!?! I'm SO jealous! I want to meet Isa, too! You are deserving, though, considering what an incredible chef and baker you are! I can't wait for your housewarming party! [Just realized that every sentence in this paragraph contains one or more exclamation points. My apologies for being over-zealous. :)]

The pasta dish looks delicious and I can definitely see making it all as one or using the components for different things. You really are amazing in so many ways!

Mihl said...

These are probably my favourite pasta ever! Thank you so much for the recipe and instructions. Now I need to invite some dinner guests over to impress them.
And yay for meeting Isa. I am very envious! :)

Mandy said...

Awesome blog....I just moved to Charleston,SC and have been having a bad crabcake craving, so thanks for veganizing it for me...have never tried jackfruit, but saw it the other day in the store.

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

WAIT! How did you escape cooking for me when I was in LA?!