Share This Page...

Vegan Braised Brisket and Vegan Jelly Donut Twinkies

As my dear Granny Fanny approaches her 90th Birthday tomorrow, I thought it only right to Veganize a recipe in her honor. My grandma Fanny is the cutest little old lady I've ever seen in my life, and she has a GREAT sense of style. She was wearing knit cardigans, cat glasses and skinny pants way before the hipster movement.

I'm always get caught trying to "borrow" her sweaters. The last time she caught me, my grandma let her sassiness loose to teach me a lesson: "Jennifer, when I go to the Great Kishka In The Sky, you can have first pick of my sweaters." I swear to Moses I'm not the morbid one here, but it is developing with age. 

Any time I open my yap and say "Wow, Nanny. This is so cute!", she lets out a hearty chuckle, throws her hand wistfully into the air and says "I'll will it to ya!" I love her. I hope I have to wait another 20 years for those sweaters. 

As we all know, this time of year Tis The Season...For Eatin'! I had not one, not two, but three vegan dinner parties this past weekend. I wanted get this recipe up first because...
1) It's Fanny's Big Day 
2) It was for a super fuckin' awesome potluck party with a bunch of my fellow LA Vegan Bloggers

We had so much fun. All of you rock. It was an honor to have you eat my food, and I sure as hell enjoyed all of your delicious vegan goodness. I was still in a food coma the next morning. I decided to go with some traditional Jewish recipes with a fancy twist because I roll like that. I also have serious issues with settling for creating something simple. I have a therapist. I'm working through it. Until I reach inner peace, I will braise and chiffonade whatever I please. 

Vegan Red Wine and Peppercorn Braised Brisket
  • 1 (4-pound) Seitan Beef Brisket (recipe follows) (Or packaged Vegan Roast) 
  • 2 cups of Reserved "Beef" Seitan broth (sub No Beef Broth if using packaged Roast)
  • 3 TBSP Mixed Whole Peppercorns, crushed
  • 3 TBSP Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
  • 1 TBSP Garlic Powder
  • 2 TBSP Olive Oil
  • 1 cup Sliced Carrots
  • 4 medium Red Potatoes, quartered
  • 2-3 Shallots, quartered
  • 8 Whole Cloves Garlic, peeled
  • 1/4 cup Tomato Paste
  • 2 dried Turkish Bay Leaves
  • 1 1/2 tsp dried Thyme
  • 1 1/2 tsp Paprika
  • 2 TBSP chopped fresh rosemary leaves
  • 2 cups Kosher Red Wine
  • Salt, to taste
Seitan Beef Brisket 

Brisket Seitan Dough
  • 2 cups Vital Wheat Gluten
  • 2 cups Water
  • 1 tsp Better Than Bouillon No Beef Broth paste (not diluted in H20)
  • 3 1/2 TB Vegan Heavy Cream
Brisket Seitan Broth
  • 8 cups prepared Better Than Bouillon No Beef Broth (8 tsp paste diluted in 8 cups water)
  • 6 dried Shiitake Mushrooms
  • 1/8 cup Tamari
  • 1 Portobello Mushroom Cap, chopped
  • 1 TBSP Garlic Powder
  • 2 tsp Onion Powder
  • 2 Bay Leaves
First, add all of the Brisket Seitan Broth ingredients to a large pot and bring to a boil. While it's heating up, using a stand mixer, mix together all of the Brisket Seitan Dough Ingredients. Don't over-mix...the dough should be softer seitan than usual, but should hold together in a large ball. Shape into one large "roast" shape, and drop into the boiling broth. 

Let it cook for 1 hour 15 minutes. Using tongs, remove the "Brisket" from the broth, and place in a colander to drain. 

Don't throw away the broth. 

You need at least 2 cups for the braising process. You can also make the seitan in advance and let it marinate in the broth overnight. I feel that when it's at its finest. 

Season drained brisket all over with salt and crushed peppercorns. In a shallow dish, with a spoon, combine flour and garlic powder. Roll brisket in flour mixture to coat. Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add the brisket and cook for 5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown on all sides. 

Transfer to a plate or platter. 

Reduce heat to medium, and add the peeled garlic, carrots, potatoes, shallots, and rosemary , stirring often, until golden, about 10 minutes. Pour in the wine and stir to pick up any browned bits on the bottom of the pot. Stir in the tomato paste, paprika and add the bay leaves and thyme. 

Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Cook rapidly, stirring often, until almost all the liquid has evaporated. Pour in the stock and bring back to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and add the brisket. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours. 

Transfer to a shallow casserole dish, slice and serve! 

 Oh yes. And let's not forget about those Jelly Donut Twinkies...

 

Comments

Anonymous said…
This looks SO good. I can't seem to get seitan right at the moment though so this seems a bit ambitious for me right now >:o(
Your Granny sounds adorable! I hope she has a wonderful 90th!
Adriana said…
Look at the adorable twink all powdered up and ready for the prom...
Anonymous said…
Pleaset don't ever stop braising and chiffonading because your brisket was freakin' fantastic!
janelle said…
It's so sweet you have such a close relationship with your granny. Mmm... it all looks so delicious!
Anonymous said…
So great to meet another Vegan Westsider, especially one with Jelly Filled Vegan Twinkies!
miss alix said…
It was nice meeting you. We stole some of the leftover jelly donut twinkies and had them for breakfast. So good with coffee. Yum!
You're amazing & I want that Twinkie!
Anonymous said…
That top photo looks. . .JUST LIKE BRISKET!! Ah, memories. . . and your granny sounds incredible. How lucky for you to have such a great relationship!
alaina said…
oh my god YES!! i am ashamed to say that i've been jonesing for a good arby's sub lately for some inexplicable reason and that seitan recipe just may be perfect.
Anonymous said…
i have dreams about that brisket.
jd said…
Um, seriously? Jelly Donut Twinkies?!?

WOAH.

That's amazing stuff!