Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Vegan Peppercorn and Red Wine Braised Brisket and Jelly Donut Twinkies


As my dear Granny Fanny approaches her 90th Birthday tomorrow, I thought it only right to Veganize a recipe in her honor. My grandma Fanny is the cutest little old lady I've ever seen in my life, and she has a GREAT sense of style to boot. She was wearing knit cardigans, cat glasses and skinny pants before it was the cool thing to do. I'm always getting caught trying to steal her sweaters, so her sassy little self told me that when she goes to the Great Kishka In The Sky, I get first dibs. I swear to Moses I'm not being morbid. Any time I open my yap and say "Wow, grandma...this is so cute!", she let's out a hearty chuckle, throws her hand wistfully into the air and says "I'll will it to ya!". I love her. I hope I have to wait another 20 years for those sweaters.

Anyway, as we all know, it Tis The Season...For Eatin'! I had not one, not two, but three vegan dinner parties this past weekend. I wanted get this recipe up first 1) because of Fanny's Big Day and 2) it was for a superawesomefantastic pot luck party with a bunch of my fellow LA Vegan Bloggers. It was so much fun. All of you guys rock. It was an honor to have you eat my food, and I sure as hell enjoyed all of your delicious vegan goodness. I was still in a food coma the next morning.

I decided to go with some traditional Jewish recipes, which of course I had to make fancy because I roll like that. Or because I have serious issues with settling for something simple. I have a therapist. I'm working through it. But until I reach inner peace, I will braise and chiffonade around my kitchen as much as I please.

Vegan Red Wine and Peppercorn Braised Brisket

  • 1 (4-pound) Seitan Beef Brisket (recipe follows)
  • 2 cups of Reserved "Beef" Seitan broth
  • 3 TBSP Mixed Whole Peppercorns, crushed
  • 3 TBSP Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
  • 1 TBSP Garlic Powder
  • 2 TBSP Olive Oil
  • 1 cup Sliced Carrots
  • 4 medium Red Potatoes, quartered
  • 2-3 Shallots, quartered
  • 8 Whole Cloves Garlic, peeled
  • 1/4 cup Tomato Paste
  • 2 dried Turkish Bay Leaves
  • 1 1/2 tsp dried Thyme
  • 1 1/2 tsp Paprika
  • 2 TBSP chopped fresh rosemary leaves
  • 2 cups Kosher Red Wine
  • Salt, to taste

Seitan Beef Brisket

Brisket Seitan Dough
  • 2 cups Vital Wheat Gluten
  • 2 cups Water
  • 1 tsp Better Than Bouillon No Beef Broth paste (not diluted in H20)
  • 3 1/2 TB MimicCreme
Brisket Seitan Broth
  • 8 cups prepared Better Than Bouillon No Beef Broth (8 tsp paste diluted in 8 cups water)
  • 6 dried Shittake Mushrooms
  • 1/8 cup Tamari
  • 1 Portobella Mushroom Cap, chopped
  • 1 TBSP Garlic Powder
  • 2 tsp Onion Powder
  • 2 Bay Leaves
First, add all of the Brisket Seitan Broth ingredients to a large pot and bring to a boil. While it's heating up, using a stand mixer, mix together all of the Brisket Seitan Dough Ingredients. Don't over-mix...the dough should be softer seitan than usual, but should hold together in a large ball. Shape into one large "roast" shape, and drop into the boiling broth. Let it cook for 1 hour 15 minutes. Using tongs, remove the "Brisket" from the broth, and place in a colander to drain. DON'T throw away the broth. You need at least 2 cups for the braising process. You can also make the seitan in advance and let it marinade in the broth overnight. I feel that when it's at it's finest.

Season drained "brisket" all over with salt and crushed peppercorns. In a shallow dish, with a spoon, combine flour and garlic powder. Roll brisket in flour mixture to coat.

Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add "brisket" and cook for 5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown on all sides. Transfer to a plate or platter. Reduce heat to medium, and add the peeled garlic, carrots, potatoes, shallots, and rosemary , stirring often, until golden, about 10 minutes. Pour in the wine and stir to pick up any browned bits on the bottom of the pot. Stir in the tomato paste, paprika and add the bay leaves and thyme. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Cook rapidly, stirring often, until almost all the liquid has evaporated. Pour in the stock and bring back to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and add the brisket. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours. Transfer to a shallow casserole dish, slice and serve!

Oh yes. And let's not forget about those Jelly Donut Twinkies...

11 comments:

Becks - Not a Rabbit. said...

This looks SO good. I can't seem to get seitan right at the moment though so this seems a bit ambitious for me right now >:o(
Your Granny sounds adorable! I hope she has a wonderful 90th!

Adriana said...

Look at the adorable twink all powdered up and ready for the prom...

Foodeater said...

Pleaset don't ever stop braising and chiffonading because your brisket was freakin' fantastic!

I ♥ puggies said...

It's so sweet you have such a close relationship with your granny. Mmm... it all looks so delicious!

Lex said...

So great to meet another Vegan Westsider, especially one with Jelly Filled Vegan Twinkies!

miss alix said...

It was nice meeting you. We stole some of the leftover jelly donut twinkies and had them for breakfast. So good with coffee. Yum!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

You're amazing & I want that Twinkie!

dietdessertndogs said...

That top photo looks. . .JUST LIKE BRISKET!! Ah, memories. . . and your granny sounds incredible. How lucky for you to have such a great relationship!

alaina said...

oh my god YES!! i am ashamed to say that i've been jonesing for a good arby's sub lately for some inexplicable reason and that seitan recipe just may be perfect.

quarrygirl said...

i have dreams about that brisket.

jd said...

Um, seriously? Jelly Donut Twinkies?!?

WOAH.

That's amazing stuff!