Life is so much happy fun-ness right now. I'm surrounded by such good company all of the time, and MY BOOK HAS BEEN RELEASED ON AMAZON!!!! I'm happier than an fat kid in a candy store. It makes me wish someone would talk nerdy to me…but wait…I do that to myself…
[yes I talk to myself]
As for this weeks recipe, we have a bit of thai and italian fusion going on here. I know the recipe l
ooks a little crazy, but it tastes soooooo damn delicious. Special shout out to budding culinary artist Jordan Langlinais for sous cheffing for me this week. The recipe post inculdes some shots of us in action.
Enjoy your week!
Oh, and if you don't go buy my book right now, my little sis is waiting for ya!
Miso and Sweet Chili Linguini and Shrimp Infused with Saffron Olive Oil
For the Linguini and Shrimp
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Juice and Zest of one Lemon
- 2 tablespoons Saffron Olive Oil (recipe follows)
- 1 package frozen Vegetarian Plus Vegan Shrimp with Sweet Chili Sauce, thawed
- 1 12 oz package Linguini Noodles
- 4 quarts Water
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- Additional 2 tablespoons of Saffron Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Vegan Margarine
- 1 large Onion, slice lengthwise
- Additional 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup Mellow White Miso Paste
- The package of Sweet Chili Sauce from the package of frozen Vegan Shrimp (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup No Chicken Broth
- 1/2 teaspoon Freshly Cracked Black Peppper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh Basil
- 2 tablespoons minced Basil, for garnish
- 4 Lemon Twists, for garnish
For the Saffron Olive Oil
- 1 tsp loosely packed toasted Saffron Threads
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
Place the saffron threads in a spice grinder or coffee grinder and turn into a powder.
In a small bowl, combine the olive oil and salt. Add in the powdered saffron, then whisk to mix completely. Transfer the oil to a small container, and allow it to sit for at least 1/2 hour.
Keeps covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Take a large zip lock bag, and place the first 2 cloves of garlic, lemon juice and zest, and the first two tablespoons of saffron olive oil inside of it. Add in the thawed vegan shrimp, then seal the bag and rub the marinade into the vegan shrimp. Allow the vegan shrimp to marinate in the bag for 30 minutes.
Heat a skillet over high heat, then quick fry the shrimp until slightly charred on the outside, about 10-12 minutes.
In a large pot, combine the water and salt. Bring the pot of salted water to a rolling boil over high heat, then slowly add the linguini and return to a boil. Boil until just al Dente, about 10-12 minutes. Drain well.
In a large saute pan, melt the vegan margarine with the rest of the saffron olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, and saute until translucent. Add in the remaining 4 cloves of garlic, miso paste, packet of sweet chili sauce and no chicken broth. Slowly bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
Increase the heat to medium. Add in the vegan shrimp and 1/2 cup of chopped basil, and simmer about 2-3 minutes until the vegan shrimp are heated through. Remove from heat.
To serve, place about a quarter of the linguini on a plate. Top with 1/4 of the vegan shrimp and sauce, then garnish with the minced basil and a lemon twist.