Sunday, February 15, 2009

Vegan Jumbo Lump Jack Fruit "Crab" Cakes with Spanish Garlic "Mayonnaise" and Warm Saffron Nage

My parents had high expectations for my collegiate educational path. When I was 15 years old, my Mom and Dad decided that instead of taking a summer vacation, the Shagrin clan should pile into our trusty green Toyota Previa and tour some of America's finest colleges. I, of course, saw this as a divine opportunity to tour the social life available to the lucky bastards that had finally escaped parental rule.

First, we hit the University of Wisconsin in Madison. My mother wanted me to find a solid back-up option to Brown University that would also provide a great 4 year experience. What I did find there was my very first fake ID (thanks Laura Norton of McLean, Virginia...whoever you are!) that also provided an equally as rewarding 4 year experience. It would have been a much longer one, but a policeman in South Carolina decided that 5'5" and 150 pounds didn't exactly fit my physical description.

Next, we headed towards Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island. On the way, we detoured to Narraganset Beach for a weekend. My parents were hoping to spend some quality time together before getting back to business. Although the "family" part didn't exactly happen, I did spend some quality time with a nice young guitar player that I met on the beach. We made out in a lighthouse and slept in a car before I returned to my hotel, most likely reeking of smoke and salt water.

By the time we departed for Baltimore, Maryland, I was on a pretty tight leash. In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have been angry with my Mom for keeping my super-glued to her side. It gave me a chance to read the first two Harry Potter books in 3 days, and it was the first (and only) time I had real crab cakes. Sans punishment, there's a 90% chance I would have skipped out on dinner for some Happy Hour carousing with the local youth, courtesy of Laura Norton, of course. They were great, but consciously not a part of my dietary choices shortly thereafter. I felt like tasting a vegan version would be the gateway to a sweet form of freedom

The above photo was taken without the Nage because, while it is delicious, it made my photographs look a little messy. You'll just have to trust me ;)

9 comments:

Chris said...

Ahh! Stop being so darn creative (translation: please do the exact opposite and keep these fabulous dishes coming). You should start your own vegan restaurant - seriously.

I have been searching for jackfruit in brine FOREVER, but when I finally found it I had to return to school! It currently languishes in my cupboard, awaiting my return. This recipe sounds really fantastic and I'm eager to try it out :)

Mihl said...

Amazing! When are you going to write your own cookbook?

dietdessertndogs said...

Another amazing creation! Glad you had those crab cakes instead of more fun courtesy of Laura--so we now get to enjoy, too! ;)

Jes said...

Your college touring experience sounds a lot crazier than mine was! The wildest I got was at Tulane in a really lame club where I drank some horribly gross shot of god-knows-what.

The crab cakes look and sound great! I've never made anything with jackfruit before, but it sounds like a better medium than the tofu I've been using for my crab cakes!

Anonymous said...

Ive never cooked with jack fruit either. the recipe sounds great reading this makes me wanna try it. Love the blog.

cheers! JTS

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Whooooa. Mind. BLOWN.

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Wow! Those look lovely. Where is the recipe though? Am I blind because it's 2 in the morning? I'd LOVE to try these!!!

Movies Gallery 2011 said...

Thanks for sharing. It was very interesting and meaningful.
Groupon Clone Script| groupon clone| Angry birds clone|

Barış said...

Was quite a nice article,
Constantly trying to follow your blog is really very nice

my Sites :
Tefal